SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Gallery wall update

mtnrdredux_gw
13 days ago
last modified: 13 days ago

So I decided to use Framebridge because I was kind of stuck at 6 images and could not figure out how to add more. I had many strong contenders for travel photos (the subject of my wall) and wanted to use as many as I could and still have a lot of white space matting. I also wanted to vary image sizes and frame types and it was getting unwieldy. Lastly, their prices are very good and their quality gets high marks.

They designed this wall and are printing, matting and framing 9 digital images, and providing a hanging template, all for only $1000.

I like what they did:

Comments (41)

• porkandham
    13 days ago

Looks great and a great price too!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked porkandham
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    13 days ago

Nice!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • Related Discussions

3 More updates in Gallery (links within)

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks Oceanna for all your hard work! Can't wait to check all these out. tina
    ...See More

Twp new Gallery Updates

Q

Comments (7)
    Maybe the answer is for us to get a sticky over there that says "Please read before you post here" and lets people know that questions go over here and huge photo collections go over there? Seems that couldn't hurt because "lost" people are always kicking the best threads to page 2, 3, 4, etc. Not only that but there is repetition on the color threads. It would be great to see just a few really right on the mark color threads stay on page one too. JMO. I haven't seen any other boards with serious galleries -- but maybe the kitchen board has one? Not sure. Others need to chime in here. Maybe we should start a new thread about this and ask people for ideas and see if they would at least join us in asking -- is it Tamara? -- to put a sticky in the gallery attempting to protect it better?? I do like your ideas!
    ...See More

Gallery Update: Stairs

Q

Comments (8)
    WOW! Some of these are so amazing! I think my favorite is the all white European-looking one-so simple and it makes me want to climb up to whatever is above. Then again, I love the painted steps with the tree and the walls of the trees and the one of the road...and that picture of the little boy can't help but make you smile and also...oh well, you get the picture-THANKS for the link.
    ...See More

Gallery Update: Cottage Decor

Q

Comments (14)
    Hey Squirrel, nice to see you! You've very welcome. The Cottage Decor thread really is my favorite. Flowerpwr45, you should post more often. You are very welcome. I'm just so happy to know that people are enjoying it. I do see questions here all the time (and some in the gallery too) that make it clear that many people are not aware of the gallery, or how helpful it can be. I hope folks will continue to suggest that people go look there. I can get answers to lots of questions there, like styles of drapes, or what to put on top of a table or dresser, what size rug to use, color schemes, storage ideas, wall decor, and on and on.
    ...See More
  • Jilly
    13 days ago

Perfect! They’re going to look so nice in there.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Jilly
  • dedtired
    13 days ago

Great look. I will have to look into that company. Theres a store in Ardmore but i never wandered in.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked dedtired
  • Kswl
    13 days ago

Love those frames!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Kswl
  • Bunny
    13 days ago

Very nice. Did they do the sizing for each photo?

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Bunny
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Bunny, yes.. They cropped and sized the photos… in some cases in ways i'd not thought of

• Bunny
    13 days ago

Their website is very interesting. Did you pick a stock gallery arrangement, or did they modify one to suit your needs? I really like the different sizes and placements. Can you specify which frames you want?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 days ago

It was customized.You can specify frames you like or ieave it up to them to suggest. I let them suggest.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 days ago

That is going to look fabulous! I am persnickety about gallery walls and generally want them to be really well designed like this with coordinating frames. I hope you'll share the final project becase this looks great.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked pricklypearcactus
  • nicole___
    13 days ago

For 9 custom framed prints...it's a fantastic price! If you like the look...you know how it feels...the way you remember the places....cool! This is for above your bed?

mtnrdredux_gw thanked nicole___
  • maire_cate
    13 days ago

That's a great arrangement - and at a good price too. I had Framebridge mat and frame a photo of our place in PA as a gift for DH one year. They did a really nice job - but framing one photo is much simpler than creating an entire gallery with different sizes and frames.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked maire_cate
  • rubyclaire
    13 days ago

I had a piece of art framed by Framebridge in one of their burled wood frames and I love it. Really like your photos and the arrangement is great! I had no idea they offered that service and the price is quite reasonable. Can't wait to see the installation.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked rubyclaire
  • nini804
    13 days ago

That looks great! Take pics after you hsng them!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked nini804
  • Fun2BHere
    13 days ago

That arrangement looks great. I wish there was a way to send them physical images rather than digital versions. I would love to have a gallery wall of some things I already own.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I wish there was a way to send them physical images rather than digital versions.

I think there is. Or you can go into a store. Mine just happen to be digital because they are fairly recent.

• Sueb20
    13 days ago

I really like the frame choices! nice idea.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Sueb20
  • rubyclaire
    13 days ago

Yes, I sent my artwork to them and they returned it matted and framed. Can't remember the details exactly but I believe they sent the packaging to me to send the artwork to them.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked rubyclaire
  • ajuju
    13 days ago

That's gorgeous! I would love to do something like that in our hallway. What are the approximate measurements of the grouping as a whole?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you. I'm on my phone I'd have to look that up.

I told them this had to be sized to go between the sconces on my wall, and over my sofa, and gave them images of the space and the measurements. They use that to come up with what they call the "display space" ie the size of the gallery as a whole mass. From there, I asked them to maximize the number of images I could put in the space. They then solved for sizes, matts, arrangements etc. You fill out a questionnaire with preferences.

I am usually a control freak but honestly this was a case of too many permutations and wanting to benefit from someone who does this all day.

https://www.framebridge.com/pages/gallery-wall-design-service

You pay a $99 design fee applicable to your purchase.

• lisaam
    13 days ago

wow, a very nice look. thanks for sharing the process.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked lisaam
  • Fun2BHere
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I see the option for sending physical items, now. I think I missed it the first time around because I went straight to the gallery wall process.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Fun2BHere
  • gardener123
    13 days ago

Very nicely done! You must be so excited to have it done!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked gardener123
  • jill302
    13 days ago

Really like what you and Framebridge put together.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked jill302
  • jojoco
    13 days ago

So pretty!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked jojoco
  • lizbeth-gardener
    13 days ago

Nice arrangement and I really like the choice of frames.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • Irish2
    13 days ago

The arrangement looks so pleasing to me and the frames are beautiful. Thanks Mtn for sharing the details.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Irish2
  • arcy_gw
    13 days ago

Your wall is pleasing to the eye, however, you are featuring the frames and white matts. I would want to see more of your photos details. Your guests will want to be very close to your wall in order to see the photos. Will your wall be approachable?

mtnrdredux_gw thanked arcy_gw
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Gallery walls have several aesthetic elements. The prints themselves, the matting, the frames, and the wall as background. The entire concept is based on the how it looks as a whole.

By its nature, then, a gallery wall deemphasizes the subjects of the photos. If my number one priority were to be able to see the photos, I might have chosen less of them and made them very large with little matting. It was not. I was looking for a decorative item to fill wall space. I specifically wanted lots of white and gold since the wall is a dark olive. And I wanted as many photos as possible within reason.

That said, it is a small room, and these are right above a sofa. They will be pretty visible I think.

• OutsidePlaying
    13 days ago

Those look exceptional, and the price is almost unbelievable for the number of frames/prints and quality.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Bunny
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I think this is the second time ever, but I kinda agree with arcy. The overall look is awesome, but as I peer at your photos, I wish I could see more of them. How did you choose them? Color? Do they all tie together in some way? All my gallery walls are of people so the subjects (people I care for) matter and tie them all together.

I understand your intent for the arrangement, frames and matting, but I also get where arcy is coming from.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Bunny
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Outside,

Thanks, I think so too. . I think the way they mixed frames and sizes was really super. I started out fiddling with it myself, and I almost didn't want to admit I subcontracted this (horrors!) but I am glad I did,

LOL Bunny.

As I peer at your photos, I wish I could see more of them.

You are, of course, peering at a 4" square screenshot. IRL it will be the length of the sofa.

How did you choose them? Color? Do they all tie together in some way?

They are some of our favorite travel photos we have taken. Some were taken by our kids, which was very intentional on my part. We never had a fridge you can hang art on, LOL!

All my gallery walls are of people so the subjects (people I care for) matter and tie them all together.

I think a photo wall of people, which one wants to see close up in order to look at faces, should probably not be behind a sofa. I would have approached it differently if the subjects were people.

There is always a compromise in sizing artwork in a gallery wall. Bigger is better, but it also means less images. I decided that nine images was the max for this space. For my family, these images are some of our "greatest hits" from our trips together. We can all tell you where and when each photo was taken. To me, the wall is not a literal opportunity for me to look at each photo (we have most of them in shared albums on our phones). I think of it holistically, as a pretty collage that reminds me of our wonderful travel memories. In a way it would almost not matter if they were upside down and scattered randomly glued to the wall.

• texanjana
    12 days ago

Those are going to look gorgeous. Can’t wait to see the finished room!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked texanjana
  • teeda
    12 days ago

I love everything about your photo gallery. I have always been too intimidated to do a gallery wall. This solution is perfect.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked teeda
  • jakabedy
    12 days ago

This is so good. And that price seems very good to me. Framing is very spendy, and you get the design and image cropping to boot.

• ice1
    12 days ago

Love your wall. Looks like one of the photos is from Skógarfoss in Iceland.

• kitschykitch
    12 days ago

I am peering at your pics too, but can't make out waht they are. Good job ice1!

• legomom23
    11 days ago

Thanks for sharing the details. I love it!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked legomom23
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

It may seem funny that my other thread mentions throwing out every scenery photo, and this thread is all about … scenery photos.

When I was looking for artwork for the sitting room in our new place, my whole family liked the idea of travel photos…scenery only, i.e. more artful images. I have a table covered with framed people-photos elsewhere).

Initially I wanted to follow some logic (e.g. at least one from each continent) but I didn’t want a snowy image so I left Antarctica out, and I didn’t find any Africa pics I loved that much. Also, the quality of our photographs is much better in more recent years and there are more attempts to be artful rather than just us capturing the kids.

In the past 5 years I’d say, everyone in my family takes their own photos and we share albums on our phones; that was the easiest and best source for good quality photos. So I accepted some randomness and reframed my quest as something that captures the spirit and beauty of travel rather than documenting all of our travel (already done with a wall of old atlas pages in Maine). I also tried to use at least one pic from each family member.

I did find a few printed photos that were worthwhile as we purged last night. Once this wall is up and the furniture is in, we will see if my little sitting room can take any more, say on a different wall.

They arrive this week - from the date I ordered, only 5 calendar days.

For those "peering"

\

This is a street scene from Havana - me

This is Seljalandsfoss in Iceland - DS

This is a woman carrying a bale of tea leaves in Sri Lanka - DD1

This is a crab in Galapagos - DH

• kitschykitch
    8 days ago

Much easier to see! Thanks. I have not sorted through our photos but they are mostly in albums for better or for worse.