SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scot_jenes

Brassicas and Fall Growing - How does the timeline work?

Scot Jenes
9 months ago

I'm roughly zone 5 and I encounter frost about October 15 and hard freeze before I manage to get fully developed cool weather crops.

What works for folks in similar zone? What planting out dates or seedling maturity rules of thumb do you use to ensure you get your crop? Do you take any special considerations for different brassicas based on temperature?

I have tried planting seedlings indoors at an earlier and earlier date, this year it was 7/8 and they were just moved in to large pots last night so hopefully I am on the right trajectory.

I've noticed that Cabbage seems to tolerate heat generally and not refuse to develop a head, Brussel sprouts also but seem more hesitant to develop heads. Broccoli seems like it needs coolish weather to grow in and Cauliflower needs the most cool weather otherwise you get nada.

Thinking I may need to plant out Cabbage and Brussel Sprouts by Mid August as long as it's not in the 90s for the forseeable future. Planning to put out the Broccoli and Cauliflower about labor day and if I see no huge temperatures on the horizon.

Thanks for all help.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting