SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dani_m08

Is my Japanese Maple tree dead (or in the process of dying)?

dani_m08
last year

Last summer (maybe beginning of August) I posted questions on here re: issues with my Japanese Maple tree. It was dropping leaves - after starting out looking beautiful in June. I think a big issue was that my SO decided to (i) replace the existing stacked natural stone retaining bed walls with pavers, and (ii) extend the sprinkler system into the retaining beds. I think that this (especially the extension of sprinklers) damaged the root system of the tree. The sad thing is that the tree was thriving like crazy in that upper retaining bed (along with the hostas and shrubs planted in that bed) - without an irrigation system (and even though it had been neglected for a few years due to ongoing health issues that caused me to be away from my house for awhile).

I have had quite a bit going on recently, and just realized that my JM has ZERO leaves on it! The JM tree next door has leaves + the one located two houses down + the one located three houses down (and I‘m sure if I went through my neighborhood, Id find more JMs that have leaves).

I did a few scratch tests (I didn’t want to do too many and cause damage) - and have posted the results below (basically, one was brown - the others had green tinges - they weren’t super green).

I have also bent some of the twigs - a few snapped (expected them too based upon howmthey looked) and several others I just bent a little - no snap.

I also tried to take a few photos to post in order to receive opinions on whether these are new buds.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Look like they have more of a green tinge in person than in these photos (but definitely not what I would call ”green”):

Comments (11)