SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_schultz

Help with sick Montmorency Cherry Tree

Claire Schultz
4 years ago

I planted a Montmorency Pie Cherry tree from Stark Bros Nursery in early April along with some other fruit trees but it seems to have become really sick and is not doing very well. It started off fine and began to bud at the beginning of the season, but the buds appeared with very tiny leaves that have not grown since and there has been no new growth since that initial budding appeared. I have started to notice some die back appearing in the outer most branches leading to the trunk. I am in Wisconsin (zone 5b). The soil the tree is currently in is a little on the sandy side with some clay as well. I dug down dug down to the root system and the roots appear to be white and healthy and the soil was not saturated with water or anything. I tested the soil ph level and it is around 7.0. It has been a rather wetter than usual spring/summer and fall as well. I have not fertilized yet because I didn't want to do more harm to the tree. The other fruit trees I planted within the same area (Starkrimson sweet cherry, Honeycrisp apple & Granny Smith apple) are all thriving. I really want to save the tree but I am not sure what might be ailing it. Any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated! (I have attached some pictures to hopefully help).

Thanks!

Comments (11)