SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Rain, stress, heat and pungency?

plllog
14 days ago
last modified: 13 days ago

ETA, This is why I'm asking: I'm not much of a gardener. I know more about growing orchids than any kind of food. The arborist trims the lemon tree. I just pick the lemons. I grow herbs (and jalapeƱos awhile back, but they didn't thrive)., by sticking plants in the ground and picking the leaves. My plants usually get watered automatically.

Given my lack of knowledge: I don't know what rain does except taking the place of watering. Does it affect the flavor of fruits and vegetables? Can you answer this?

Recently, I've been noticing that the radishes had no pungency, no sharpness, and even the prepared horseradish had no zing. None. Then there's the sriracha. Hoy Fong came back after blowing up their contract with the pepper grower. It seems to take twice as much of the new stuff as the old for the same amount of heat. No, I haven't had covid. I can taste all kinds of subtle, delicate flavors, and regular ones.

I just got a little tub of radish sprouts from the grocery store. I like veggie sprouts in sandwiches, but this is my first radish sprout. It tastes like radishes! Like they're supposed to taste. Just little white sprouts with the seeds on, and tiny green curls. They taste fully like radish. Not "hot". Too little for that. But zingy and fully radishy. What I've been missing since the Spring crop started coming in.

Is it the excessive rain? In the thread talking about striation on jalapeƱos, it was mentioned that for peppers, more stress equals more heat. Makes sense that threats would trigger defensive response. One puts certain orchids in the sun during the off season because they won't bloom if they don't get sunburned (stressed?). So, is the excess rain to blame for the lack of strong flavors?

Comments (35)