SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_slamm

Does anyone forage? Wild food favorites

agmss15
14 days ago
last modified: 14 days ago

Does anyone forage? I like the idea of foraging more than I actually do it. Partly laziness or lack of knowledge - partly the discovery that there are really good reasons that some foods aren’t sold at Hannafords. They may be edible but ehhhh… I am including garden perennials in my foraging.

I had a stir fry of daylily shoots a few nights ago. Quite delicious, easily available and one of the first greens of the season. I also like dandelion greens for the same reason. Fiddlehead season season is just beginning. I like then but I haven’t foraged them. I would love to find a place to harvest Ramps or wild onions. They are worth the muddy shoes. I also like milkweed shoots and buds later in the season - a childhood favorite.

Inspired by Darch I harvested hosta shoots last year. They were very good. My hostas have gotten pretty big. I did some dividing last year. So I have even more. Not the fancy ones.

Mushrooms are the obvious foraged food. I only harvest them with a few trusted friends. I haven’t dived into really learning about then. I have harvested honey mushrooms, aborted entolomas and oysters. A friend who is an amazing forager has gifted me chicken of the woods, hen of the woods, matsuke, black trumpets - fresh and dried.

I spend a lot of time picking wild blueberries which are delicious, prolific and a PIA to pick. I love adding them to winter breakfasts. Also blackberries. Fewer of the teeny tiny local strawberries.

A few years ago I shelled good quantity of black walnuts. They have a really good flavor but are a lot of work. I mean a lot. I read about black walnut syrup this spring but I didn’t wade through the late snowfall to try it. I would love to set up to make small quantities of syrup - maple, walnut or birch. I am usually enjoy getting outside in early spring. I have picked the local wild hazelnuts and beechnuts but only a few at a time. Never attempted the process of making acorns edible. I read about eating maple samaras but haven’t tried it yet. Sounds very time consuming.

Happy spring to everyone!

Foraging great niece for attention. Bumper crops of pine cones this year.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH