SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Meatballs

plllog
13 days ago

I started a thread about "emulsification" in meatballs, which they've been mentioning on TV a lot, but it disappeared in process. No loss. I found a website that explains it's what happens when you add water to the ground meat (actually, the fat in the meat). Well...yeah. That's a classic, and if I don't add water, I add whole eggs, which is another way. This affects the texture, of course.

Before I found that explanation, I was thinking about the old Italian guy's meatballs, which were delicious, but had a texture finer than pâté, and sausages vs. hotdogs, and wondering if they were emulsified. Apparently, yes. Similar things in the explanation I read.

So many ways to make meatballs. So many arguments over what's a burger, what's a meatball, what's a meatloaf. My proportions are different for meatballs and meatloaf, and flavors, but they're not hugely different. Or, that is, until you get to the meatballs--my favorite--which have as much or more volume of minced onion and carrot as meat. And a lot of dry parsley to soak it up, as well as matzah.

What kind of meatballs do you make? What's your favorite texture? Do you emulsify (intentionally)?

Comments (30)