SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bengz6westmd

Plum yew 'Harrington' & Canaan firs

bengz6westmd
last month
last modified: 29 days ago

'Harrington' plum yew received from Forestfarm. Good size, but it was badly root-bound in a pot, and had to spend alot of effort untangling them. Previous growth looks surprisingly vigorous. Planted in a fairly shady spot when the surrounding trees leaf out.

Also making an effort to reliably grow some firs that aren't always damaged by late frosts. Couple bare root Canaan firs from Musserforests.

Comments (5)

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    28 days ago

Good luck. Cephalotaxus are easy to grow and deer resistant in my experience, but they are agonizingly slow, too!

bengz6westmd thanked davidrt28 (zone 7)
  • bengz6westmd
    Original Author
    28 days ago

David, I'm looking closely at the stems of the plum yew, and it looks like the last year's growth was almost a foot on the most vigorous ones.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    28 days ago

Yeah, it could be that in a nursery production system they grow a bit faster. Maybe it's just the varieties I've tried to grow were slow. But i've heard from others like Dave Parks, for example, that 'Duke Gardens' is slow.

My C. fortunei looks cool - a bit Wollemia like - but has been there for well over 10 years without any signs of "treeification". Maybe I'll dump a bit of ammonium sulfate on it.

bengz6westmd thanked davidrt28 (zone 7)
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    28 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

Congrats beng!

I can't grow the plum yew here, or any Cephalotaxus that I know of, but my T. hicksii is doing great (barely zone hardy here and best I can do!). :o)

eta:

Did a little research on your plant:

Once established this plant is drought and heat-tolerant and deer resistant. Its texture is medium to fine, and this yew is normally wider than tall, reaching a height of 5 to 10 feet tall and about as wide.

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/cephalotaxus-harringtonia

bengz6westmd thanked BillMN-z-2-3-4
  • bengz6westmd
    Original Author
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

David, I looked even more closely at the stems, and they stay green for years before turning brown. So I overestimated the growth, but could tell by stem rings that still, annual growth on 2 major stems was 6 inches previously, but last year's growth.was less.

Thanks Bill. I was familiar w/yews growing up as the back yard had a long chain-link fence that was screened by yews, and was impressed by their healthy state/deep green even in deep shade (they did get sun in the cold season).