SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_500825108

Renovating drip system-a question for those with experience

bart bart
last month

Last year I finally got up the courage to take the plunge and install my first drip irrigation system. I bought a relatively cheap kit on Amazon, because it was a gravity-based design. I did get it to work,and am by no means sorry that I got it, because I learned a lot. But I'm not crazy about it. It's hoses are those "tape" kinds, quite flimsy, and they are not of a standard measure. The connecting joints are very irritating; extremely difficult to render un-leaky, and you must use them with the tubes because of the non-standard size. Lastly, the built-in emitters are evenly spaced along the hose, so to position them only near the roses is impossible; I daresay that this system was designed for vegetable gardens, where everything is laid out in neat rows.

Previously when I posted about this I got many, many VERY helpful replies. I also found out that-hurray! the Netafim systems can be bought in Italy. But they are expensive, and I don't feel competent enough yet to invest in them. So, after doing some research on-line, I decided to try making my own system. I found this post on an on-line forum particularly inspiring:

https://permies.com/t/137220/Drip-irrigation-adjustable-spray-emitters 

This makes use of regular garden hose. According to this, you just punch holes where you want, and put in emitters that can be bought on-line. This really appealed to me, because I have lots of old garden hose, which is fairly robust and of a standard size, so it's easy to find connectors, etc. What's more, with this method, one can place the emitters where one wants, concentrating them around the individual plants, and no water is wasted on paths, etc. Emittedly , (sorry folks, couldn't resist),they may well clog easily and what-not,but if it works I think the advantages might well out-weigh the inconvieniences.

So, by now I've set up the fatter hose that supplies the water from the tank,plus the filter, and have laid out the thinner hoses and hopefully have rendered the connections and ends non-leaky. My next step is to start installing the emitters. I experimented at home, and using a hammar and nail made the hole, put in the emitter, and tried it out here at home. That one worked, so now I have to try and see if it will also work in the real situation.

Here's a question: how many emitters would you insert for each rose? I was thinking at least two per rose; would three or four be better? The plants in question are all rather small and/or juvenile-some are new implants. How old does a plant have to be before it can rely exclusively on drip irrigation?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (12)