SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Another "what to wear" thread

Funkyart
2 months ago

I will have a couple of dinners out in NYC ... at least two will be nicer restaurants but early evening so not too dressy at all. It will be late May and a holiday weekend so maybe warm-- maybe cool.

I'd like to wear a dress but most of my dresses are either very sundressy or very officey-- not much in between. Trying to shop this one from my closet ... or pick up something that is either on a great sale or versatile with a quick change of jewelry/accessories.

pictures in next post.

Comments (437)

• Sueb20
    14 days ago

Me too! But I keep getting disappointed in the stuff I’m finding in local stores. It is often hard to find petites — for example, Anthro doesn’t have petites in the store, only online. It used to be the same with Eddie Bauer too, not sure if that is still the case.

With all these plastic surgeries and ozempic and etc…why haven’t they found a way to make us taller yet? I would love to be about 5’6”.

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Cute top, Sue .. but I am with you on all the ruffles!

That was my plan when I set out looking to do a wardrobe refresh-- focus on cute tops. I have not done all that well. I am returning way more than I am am keeping. I was feeling bad about myself because nothing seemed to look good but early this morning, I pulled out tops from last year and I was back in my zone. I think this years styles and tops just arent for me.

Doesn't mean I will stop trying ... but I am going to be much more critical. Every single item that was on my "maybe" pile is going back. If it doesnt look great, I am not keeping it!

• Related Discussions

Biscuits....yet another thread

Q

Comments (52)
    Strawberry shortcake with biscuits are a favorite old fashioned summer treat. Flakey biscuits, sweet berries and rich fluffy whipped cream. I don’t like it with the little sponge cakes my BIL gets for my sister’s birthday. (My family marks our summer birthday by what fruit was ripe) Pre-pandemic I had a light dinner at a friend’s. A spicy roasted tomato and pepper soup and huge sourdough biscuits. The recipe is from King Arthur. It has become a favorite way to use up discard. I think of of biscuits as rich, flaky and not particularly sweet. On another note I was a particularly awkward kid. I found teen fandom fairly incomprehensible but I had two friends who were huge Bay City Rollers fans. Lol. I remember bringing ‘scones’ to school in my lunch box for an endless stream of band members birthdays. I would love to find the ancient cookbook I used. As I remember the recipe was more like a biscuit than most of what I have had as scones in my adulthood. https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/buttery-sourdough-sandwich-biscuits-recipe
    ...See More

Another table setting thread (blue and white, maybe)

Q

Comments (70)
    bbstx - Your table is going to be beautiful, the blue and pink combination is one of my favorites. Love all the china options, the Blue Willow us my favorite for a luncheon. I have an affinity for china, keep wanting more. But I do not use it often enough. Keeping my eye on the Wallace Bee flatware just love it. Thank you for sharing. I do need new flatwear, the flatware that came with our desert house is junky. The Wallace Bee flatware is now at the top of my list.
    ...See More

Another one of those endless threads...

Q

Comments (27)
    FWIW, I believe justcallmepool did state that these threads do show up on the Houzz discussions front page for everyone to see and access. And tho their comments were a bit salty, I think it just goes to show that what some might think of as a private forum most certainly is not. It's fair to assume there are always other eyeballs looking at these pages, since they can also come up in web search results. This may be a partially hidden conversations board, but it's not completely incognito. Isn't it the case that someone who's not a member can still read, even if they cannot post a reply? P.S. @ Olychick - I did finally click and the fact that people are only posting their results makes that even more baffling to me! I play Wordle daily too, but it never occurred to me that anyone would be interested in my results.
    ...See More

Another "mixed metal" thread - pendants and pulls

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you to everyone! @nicoletouk, the Olde Brick website is great. They don't come up for me on the general searches - obviously I'm not searching right. This thread has really got me evaluating my options. I'm now strongly leaning toward doing a different metal theme for the island. Here's my reasoning: It already has a different cabinet color and countertop from the perimeter. Some on this forum say that's a no-no - too busy - but I think of it as a "setting apart." The island is a transition from the kitchen to the living room - there's no wall between them. The far side of the island is our seating and "office" space, as there is a shelf under the island for our devices. The end near the oven is dedicated to baking only - all the food prep is flowing along the perimeter. And the other short end, near the TV room - AKA the Man Cave - is for DH to do the refrigerator/microwave two-step! So really the island is functioning as more than just another set of cabinets with counter over it. It's truly going to be the center of the great space we've created. I've just ordered some sample pulls in different metals. I really do think a light-colored brass might look good with the warmth of the wood cabinets. But I've got polished and brushed nickel coming too. Stopped short of chrome, as nothing in there is quite that "shiny". Wish me luck!
    ...See More
  • Kswl
    14 days ago

Sueb, you are absolutely right, why can’t they??

But this shows the contrariness of human nature and the impermanence of our bodies …. I’ve always been a 5’7” adult (and wished I was 5’9”) until I was measured this year and am now 5’6” 😵‍💫 and long to be 5’7” again.

Funky, I absolutely agree— anything I don’t really love is being donated.

• hhireno
    14 days ago

Random replies to comments above:

I don’t want to be taller but I wish my arms and legs were longer. I’m long of waist and short of limb, I haven’t found an advantage to that, yet. My sisters are all very similar in height but they have longer limbs. Life is unfair.

I think it was a trip to London in 2000 when they weighed carry-ons. They told me mine was too heavy by a pound or two. I had tossed a folded tote bag into my carry on, so I removed that and put a few items in that. That was an acceptable solution to the airline. We walked away from the check-in counter, and I put all those items back into my carry-on. 🤷🏼‍♀️

The same trip, there was a couple checking in with so much luggage I assumed they were moving to London. Now I know it was Mtn and her husband on a weekend jaunt. 😆

Funkyart thanked hhireno
  • salonva
    14 days ago

I realized that although I'm far from a fashioning, my closet is way better than what's out there. I've tried to pick up a few refreshers but they just look sad . Thankfully I was able to drop a few lbs and what didn't fit so well is now nicer ( from my closet). I'm with you funky. Also here's my find.... costco kirkland signature ankle pants are very very very good duplicate to Athleta Brooklyn pants.... and are $14.99. I bought 2 sizes and one will go back but one is a keeper!!!!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    14 days ago

What a great find, Salonva -- I don't wear the brooklyn pant (forget the one I have but it is a newer one) but ALL the athleta pants are expensive. I do like them a lot but they are all approaching $100 a pant!

I am 5'6" (and refuse to check if I am shrinking!) and have always wanted to be 5'8 or 9"... but I am the only female in my family who is taller than 5'3" so I guess I shouldn't complain.

But for those wishing they were taller, remember that what often comes with height are larger shoe sizes and larger hands.

• jsk
    14 days ago

I've never owned any Athleta pants. The price was always a deterrent for me. Same with Spanx but I am thinking about getting a pair of those. I don't dress for work anymore, but not a bad idea to have one nice pair of black pants in my closet.

I was always about 5'5.5". I think last time doc measured my height it was more like 5'4" :-(

My mom was tall - about five foot, 9 or 10 inches. By the time she passed in her 90s, she was shorter than me. So I fully expect to shrink more and I'm not real happy about that.

• salonva
    14 days ago

wow jsk --- Same-- my mom was 5'8" which was so tall for that generation. My sister and I were both shorter than our mom, and our daughters are shorter than we are... ( they are like 5'2 and 5'3) which is so not typical. My husband is /was 6'2 ( now about 6'0") but his brother's daughter is 6 ft..

I always wanted to be 5'7"

• Kswl
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

I really enjoyedI being 5‘7” ☹️

• jsk
    14 days ago

salon - yes, my mom was basically a giant for her generation! Her 2 brothers were also very tall. Each about 6'2" if I remember correctly.

I was shorter than my mom, and my daughter shorter than me - 5'3" ish. And her 2 kids are both small. Especially her 4 year old son.

My son, on the other hand, is 6 foot. Genetics are weird!

• Sueb20
    14 days ago

My dad was 5’9” and my mom was 5’8”. I am 5’2”…not fair!

• maire_cate
    14 days ago

I over pack too and always return home with clothes that I never wore. But I stick to one checked suitcase and my carry-on and fanatically check the weight requirement. The last time I was in the Dublin airport I watched a family trying to re-arrange the things in their suitcases so that they'd make the lower weight limit for flights inside Ireland. They were fine when they boarded American in Philly but didn't realize that the weight limit was lower on the flight from Dublin to Shannon. I think they finally bought an extra suitcase and paid the excess luggage fee.

• Sueb20
    14 days ago

• Irish2
    14 days ago

• mtnrdredux_gw
    14 days ago

There is a weight limit now (70 lbs instead of 50lbs). 25-30 years ago, I do not think there was a limit on pounds or number of bags, even in economy?

I cannot remember a time when check in did not involve your bag going on a scale. Moreover, they have to know that number for fueling purposes, cargo, etc. For me, the weight of my bags has never been an issue because honestly I think you would have to pack bricks to exceed the weight. We do sometimes have to pay for extra baggage but usually the boys underpack so our extra checkins can go toward their limits. I also always chuckle about carry on. If you are in the front of the plane, they ignore all the carryon rules. I swear they'd help you with your baby grand. We usually spring for first but on occasions when that was not an option I noticed a world of difference in rule adherence!

Like Funky, I see no reason to revise my height and I am clinging to my LKH, last known height, which is 5'9. My sister is 6'1, brother is 6'4. I think my kids are all ~5'10 and DH is 6'. My girls wish they were 6'!

• HU-163897337
    14 days ago

I’m 5”3 and enjoy it, other than really having to watch my weight!

• jsk
    13 days ago

I guess I was never over the weight limit back in the day. I didn't know of one, and I was never charged or had it mentioned when checking in.

In economy, the limit is 50 lbs and I am usually right at that weight and that's after putting my heavy dyson blow dryer and a few other toiletries in DHs suitcase. Thank goodness for A-zon thingy to weigh one's suitcase so I don't have to be that person at the airport opening my bags to rearrange!

In first class, it's 70 lbs. I did not come close to that but I was over 50 lbs. And they put bright orange 'heavy' tags on my bag!

• kitschykitch
    12 days ago

One thing as we have gotten older, my DH insists on travelling in first class. I do not overpack because that means I have to unpack and repack on our trips and I hate that part.

I don’t want to be taller but I wish my arms and legs were longer.

LOL I am having trouble imagining this

• hhireno
    12 days ago

I guess it doesn’t sound right, but 2 of my sisters are my height but have longer arms and legs. So I want to remain 5’3 and 3/4” tall but I need at least one more inch in my arm length and up to 2 or more in my legs, so that I don’t have to hem everything. I know it was possible, because there’s living proof in my family. 😆 Hmm, they are both older sisters so maybe the DNA was getting lazy when it combined to make me. My younger sisters are slightly shorter but their arm length must be ok because they don’t have to roll up every sleeve. and their legs don’t seem so stumpy.

• eld6161
    12 days ago

Hhierno, i understand totally.

Which is why some petite size ranged women might be able to wear regular tops or regular size pants.

Petite is proportion. Not such height but length of arms, lengths of legs.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 days ago

at 5'6, I am not petite -- but I just wore my spanx wide leg air essentials cropped pants for the first time and thinking I should have gotten the petite! I am long waisted but still these are very high waisted and they are long-- a hair past my ankles.

I am also finding almost all the flare style jeans are way too long at 30"-32" length inseam.

I am not convinced the flare style is for me so I am just skipping past them for now.

• Kswl
    10 days ago

I think it’s a trend, Funky, making pants so much longer that we have to have them hemmed or wear heels. I am also (now) 5’6” and have also been buying pants in petite sizes for the shorter inseam.

• HU-163897337
    10 days ago

Aren”t petite pants shorter from waist to crotch?

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Yes, "Hu" ... but as I specifically noted: the spanx are very high/long waisted. I don't think switching to petites will be an issue in this style even though I am long waisted.

"I am long waisted but still these are very high waisted and they are long-- a hair past my ankles. "

I have not considered petites in any other brand or style of pants as I don't think the shorter waist/rise will work for me... but as Kswl reports, it is possible. I suspect the higher waist styles are more flexible that way. I don't wear petites in tops ever due to arm/shoulder/body length.

• Sueb20
    7 days ago

Funky just fyi, I just got this white blouse from Zappos and I love it! It has an under-layer so it’s not see through.

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Kswl
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

Cute top Sue— and so much more wearable with lining!

Funky, I have learned never to say never… again. I’ve been assembling my clothes for our June trip and realized I need to take something warm that isn’t made of wool. Not enamored with the idea of damp wool that doesn’t dry easily and regardless of the chill it will still be early summer so I want something that looks lighter. I went back to our local boutique and tried on all the Spanx air essentials and came out with the polo top in white, and ordered the black and white striped sweatshirt and the black tapered cuffed pants as they did not have them in my size. The medium pants were huge— in fact the lady working that day remarked that they looked like jodhpurs, they were so baggy in the hips! Anyway, I think those three pieces will play nicely with the other things planned for the trip and I’ll have them to wear for next fall. I still am not in love with the weight but I think they’ll fill the ”athleisure” hole in my closet.

Funkyart thanked Kswl
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Oh I like the top, Sue -- I will have to check it out. Liverpool is generally a good fit for me.

Funny, Kswl, I was going to order a few more air essentials items but then it got hot-- high 80s and the thought of wearing the thick fabric in NYC in May was just too much. I think I will wait a few weeks and check the temperature predictions. It could be high 60s or high 80s .. and even both in the same day!

If I wont take them to NYC, then I will wait until fall to order more ... I am between sizes in at least some of the items and they are too expensive to take a chance that they won't fit come Nov.

I DO think they will be perfect for your trip!

• Kswl
    7 days ago

Much too hot to wear now here, also—86 degrees today!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 days ago

it was 89 on Monday ... expected to be 87 today!

Tomorrow drops into high 70s and then low 60s all weekend and into next week!

I thought the spanx pants were a very comfortable weight in the high 60s last weekend but I don't think I'd wear them above those temps.

• nicole___
    7 days ago

I'm concentrating on buying big brimmed hats before the heat hits here. I'm still wearing a light jacket. It's 44F with a cold spike to the breeze.

• bbstx
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

The pink dress with feathers isn’t worthy of its own thread. Nevertheless, I wanted to let y’all know how well it worked out! I am so happy that I bought the dress! It looked great and was very comfortable. Even though the wedding was ”black tie optional,” the formality of the clothes ranged from very formal to Sunday church dresses. Probably my favorite adjective of the evening for my dress was ”sassy.” I’ll take it!!

I had to be mindful of where my feather cuffs were. A sleeve gaiter would have been helpful (jk). Happily, the feathers camed through the evening unscathed.

Tuckernuck has a top similar to my dress.

I’d get it if the sleeve cap weren’t gathered!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 days ago

So very glad you loved the dress, bbstx! I am sure you were stunning!

Btw I love "sassy" .. it is a look AND an attitude!

• Kswl
    6 days ago

I have NO doubt you were the belle of the ball, Bbstx! That’s a statement dress if ever there was one. AND with the shoes…. sassy is an understatement!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    6 days ago

Bbstx, that dress is fabulous, and at the same time very simple…which appeals to me. Just slide on , nothing to adjust, and let it be its beautiful self.

Sueb, the light, airy shirt is perfect for the heat.

• Sueb20
    3 days ago

Just got these cute loafers from Rothys for our Italy/Switzerland trip. So comfy! I need better support than these for walking around all day but they’ll be good to walk to dinner or to breakfast at the hotel.

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Kswl
    3 days ago

Give me a good herringbone pattern any day! Love those, Sueb!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    yesterday

So cute, Sue! Are you ready and packed? Your trip sounds awesome-- and what a nice trip for you and DH to unwind after the stress of the last few weeks!

I have now completed packing up all my returns-- whew! it is a lot! I give credit to you all though as I used to keep things that were "good enough" .. I have become much more selective.

Kswl, you mentioned ordering more spanx air essentials items-- I am about to place another order too under the guise of a mother's day gift! I got my mom the 1/4 zip in violet air ... and I added the air essentials skort (black) and polo top (white) for myself ;)

Also Nordstrom had *one* black and white stripe boat neck top in an XL. Must be a return as they are sold out everywhere. I don't usually order an XL unless it is an oversized fit ... we'll see. I really want the black stripe so it was worth a try. I am an air essentials convert.

• Kswl
    yesterday

Funky I am STILL waiting for my Spanx order! Two weeks ago I ordered the cropped wider leg pant in khaki (sand, I think they call it) and it arrived in a few days, so I expected these to arrive as timely. Our local shop did have the long sleeved polo top and that’s actually on the bed as a possibility depending on the looks and fit of the elusive striped sweatshirt. It’s funny…. I am an overall Spanx clothing convert as well. Everything fits me well and it is very durable. Last spring I ordered my first garment from them and now, well I am almost embarrassed to admit how much I love it! Even my nowfave black dress is Spanx 😎

• Sueb20
    yesterday

Funky, I am partly packed! I am glad we leave late in the day Fri so I have time to reorganize as needed that day, and/or do last minute laundry. Yes, we need a vacation!

• Irish2
    yesterday

Sueb & Funky have a great vacation.

We are headed to Savanah & Charleston at end of month so I need to get thinking of what I’m packing sooner rather than later 😉

(Eagle Creek packing cubes /rolling rack )

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    yesterday

Thank you, Irish .. I have a few weeks to wait yet but I am sure it will be great fun!

Love that you are going to Savannah and Charleston! This seems like the perfect time ... right before it gets stinkin hot!

• Sueb20
    13 hours ago

Today I will be UNpacking…without leaving home. My dad went into the hospital yesterday, will make this brief since it’s a hijack but it is likely that he may have to have part of his foot amputated. For a guy who prides himself on his activity level at 89, it will be really hard (obv, in many ways). We will know more today but of course we have to cancel our trip. I am his only immediate family. Aaaggghh.

• DLM2000-GW
    12 hours ago

Oh (((Sueb))) I'm sorry your trip will have to wait and so very sorry your dad is likely dealing with major health/life issues. My brother has dealt with neuropathy in his feet (not diabetes related) for years and has had a toe and a portion of another amputated - not as severe as what your dad is facing, though. It is a rough hand to be dealt.

• Irish2
    11 hours ago

Sueb I am sending thoughts and prayers to you and your Dad.

• rubyclaire
    11 hours ago

Oh no - so sorry to hear this Sueb. Hoping for the best possible outcome for your dad and your family. Ugh.

• salonva
    11 hours ago

oh no so sorry to hear that Sue.........thinking of you and your Dad.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 hours ago

Oh Sue, so sorry to hear. Sending wishes! Hope your dad has the best possible outcome ... and I hope you can reschedule your trip when things settle down.

• Tina Marie
    10 hours ago

Sue, sending prayers for your dad and for you too. It's not easy caring for parents. Take care of you too!

• Kswl
    10 hours ago

Sorry to hear this news Sue, and hope your father gets better with the least amount of intervention possible. ❤️

• eld6161
    5 hours ago

So sorry.