SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Frustration with my Winnipeg Park roses...!

ostrich
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

I am wondering if I am the only one here who is frustrated with Winnipeg Park roses please? I am in Zone 4a (Edmonton) and planted my Winnipeg Park roses about 3 years ago and I was looking for a red rose that would have a nice form, good disease resistance and being winter hardy here in Edmonton. Well, over the last 3 years, I have observed these issues:

1. The blooms are more pink than red. It is a nice colour, but I was hoping for something redder than this...!

2. One year I had terrible powdery mildew but it might be due to the unusually humid weather that summer...

3. It died back to the ground this past winter. Then they started to send up shoots but the shrub form is not as nice. Also, given the high winds we have had lately, several of the new stems completely snapped at the base! This is so frustrating!!!

Should I shovel prune them and use something else in that bed, like Emily Carr??? I do have to say that I do really like the form of these Winnipeg Park roses as they do have a nice form though there is no fragrance.

I would appreciate your opinions on this! Thank you!

P.S. I have given them plenty of water and fertilizers already.... I do hope that there will continue to be new stems to replace those snapped ones!!! Sigh...

Comments (14)