SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joy_paray

I don't know how to plant under my windows that are grade level

Joy Paray
10 months ago

Hi there! I pu

rchased this house a couple of years ago and I really want to tackle the landscape this year. I have a love/hate relationship with it. If I would have built this house, I would have passed on the curvy sidewalk. I would have borrowed cues from the architecture of the house. Notice any 90 degrees here!? I have done extensive research on how to landscape and I'm confident I can manage doing it on my own, but I'm stuck because of the windows. I don't have the money to tear out the sidewalk, so I have to make do. Both sections on either side of the door as well as the next section is perfectly symmetrical to the other side. I started with the idea to make the 4 sections symmetrical but then decided maybe I should do it on either side of the door. I really like the idea of simple and formal and would be happy with dwarf english boxwoods and smaller hydrangeas throughout and maybe at each corner I could put green tower boxwoods. I am confused on how or what to plant on the sections that are deeper going back (if that makes sense). Towards the driveway (right side) I would like to put a burgundy maple of some kind. I like the contrast of that up against the house. The house faces east. I'm in zone 5, I should mention. The space on both sides of the sidewalk is way too big and unnecessary. I feel like taking that in and making a rectangle bed on both sides and putting a row of boxwoods leading to the front door. To the left of the door is flagstone. I think they were trying to create symmetry to match the other side, which was a total fail. On the left is some old pavers for the retaining wall that I think I could power wash and use. I think removing the small strip of pavers between the 2 sections could be taken out to create more of a balance to match the other side. Maybe change the way the flagstone goes out so it does match the sidewalk more. If I do that, I feel like the row of boxwoods on both sides won't look right. All of the windows are about 24" to the ground except for the windows on the left. Those I have some wiggle room with about 40". Is the boxwood and hydrangea idea a good one? If so, do the boxwoods go on the back row or the hydrangeas? I don't want the boxwoods to turn into a hedge, unless that would look better? I thought about putting some burgundy ninebarks on the far left side that could match the color of the maple on the other end. Would I implement some matching coral bells throughout the landscape to pull that color all the way through? I really like the green and white carex grass for a birder plant or some Jack frost brunnera. I want to go with the less is more approach, but I just don't know how to pull this off. Does anyone have some ideas on how I can design this with these windows and if my idea so far is something that will look good???

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living