SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madison_roussel

Mystery White Rose?

Zone 9a/Southeast Louisiana

Multiple flushes

Some stems have prickles…others stems don’t? Seriously, is that normal? I’ve never encountered this before, but I’m totally new to the rose krewe!

Has some fragrance, nothing overwhelming

I propped it up with a chair since it was laying down in the yard, then I cleaned it up a wee bit, and now it’s putting out quite a few new canes! Got all the grass out from under it and added some mulch, and it already looks better.

New canes are long, leggy, and seem to need some support. Possibly a climber?

Possibly own root? I did some digging (literally) to see but it’s still hard for me to tell. Guess I’ll have to wait for blooms on that one particular new cane to determine if it’s a sucker.

It’s such a lovely rose. It was growing through the railing of the wooden deck when we moved here. Unfortunately we lost the deck due to Hurricane Ida and don’t plan to build another, so I’ll likely replace the chair with a trellis or something pretty to support the rose.

Please ignore how gross the area is where the deck used to be. We are currently replacing our roof (ourselves 💪🏻), so that has most of our attention. One day this will be a nice area that I don’t purposely avoid! 😅 One project at a time, and lotsssss of grace.

I’m sure Belinda’s Dream is happy to have her space back now that this rose is propped up, LOL.

^^February…peep that little cane on the left!

^^prickles vs none? (ignore Belinda’s Dream foliage at the top of the pic)

^^one rose at a time, y’all. Got this one all cleaned up underneath.

^^having trouble finding an obvious bud union/graft. Any thoughts from the experts?

I added a second chair yesterday for the new canes…temporarily. At least the chairs match, haha.

Lastly, funny face:

Comments (25)