SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pdxrobert

Rose I.D. help--PAOK? Jubilee Celebration? Something else?

PDXRobertZ8
last year
last modified: last year

There are two rose bushes where I work in Portland, Oregon in a fair amount of shade (only a few hours of afternoon sun total) and they thrive. The have very few thorns...not thornless, but almost--nearly smooth stems. The plants grow tall (5' - 6') or so and then start to arch over a bit. It throws out gorgeous long canes every year, topped with lush, deep blooms.

The blooms are huge (at least 4") and so fragrant. It's not old rose exactly, but it's not myrrh either--somewhere between the two? Maybe fruity? I wouldn't say I'm a scent expert, but I feel that it's not a tea scent. (That's probably not terribly helpful). You can see from the photos that the shading on the rose changes from the center (darker) outward. The blooms last several days in a vase, no problem. Thick with petals. Pink mostly, but I have observed some coral/peach tones in it at times (maybe it's weather contingent). Most of the time it's a range of light to dark pink.

In my observation, the bush is almost disease free. I've seen only the tiniest bit of powdery mildew which seems to resolve itself each season because we don't spray at work. The leaves have a somewhat crinkled look as well at times. If you look at the photo of the entire bush, you will get an idea. In that photo it is 6' tall. But otherwise they are a medium green, and a bit shiny. Not super shiny HT shiny, but a bit shiny.

Lastly, she takes from cuttings easily. I've taken a dozen or so and every single one struck and has turned (quickly) into a very large plant. Gave those away.

She might not be an Austin, but the head gardener thought they were donated from a woman's garden who loved Austins.

Any ideas? I'd love to know what it is, but also to know so that I don't buy the same one from DA.

The photos are of the mother plant at my work and of blooms from one of its cuttings in my own garden.

Comments (17)