SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artinnature

2023 UPDATE C. 'Autumn Rocket' & 'Pinkaboo' buds but no flowers

artinnature
last year
last modified: 5 months ago

Tons of flower buds but no flowers as of December 10, both plants have been in the landscape just over 1 year. Does this strike anyone else as fairly odd? Willamette Valley Oregon. I did see an old C. sasanqua blooming in Salem the other day, 15 miles east.

11/11/2023 UPDATE

Here we go again. This data is for Autumn Rocket, I have not heard back from my neighbor re: her Pinkaboo.

We had 29.5F on October 30 and five flower buds fell off. There are about 35 flower buds remaining on the plant. They are very, very, painfully slowly, over a period of several weeks, starting to show white petals peeking through the bud scales. Things are looking good right now but the progression is so weirdly slow, and more freezes are expected next week. As of today there are two buds that look like they may open....soon? maybe? Looking at the calendar, though, I really don't expect a good bloom, again. FYI, I bought this plant online, from a nursery in Georgia. I'm thinking Autumn Rocket is not well adapted to the PNW, or at least not to my part of the Willamette Valley, and would be much happier, or at least "bloomier" back in Georgia!

I'm planning on adding another sasanqua, and I'll definitely look for the earliest I can find. Setsugekka seemed to be a no-brainer back in Seattle, perhaps I'll give it a try here. I'm only seeking whites.

Comments (18)