SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyannastarknola

Anybody wanna help my mom not be scared of her new roses?

First off, this forum taught me everything I know about roses and I thank y'all from the bottom of my rose nerd heart. Nice to see y'all, it's been awhile!

TL;DR: What would you say to encourage a lady who is overwhelmed and intimidated because her daughter foisted antique roses on her? Apart from "I'm sorry"?

My mom has a huge sunny yard (zone 8a, humid South Louisiana) and I'm a rose bully so I got her Duchesse de Brabant, Clothilde Soupert, Cramoisi Superieur, and Madame Alfred Carriere. I have all but MAC, in less than ideal conditions (too much shade, too close to other plants) and they are absolutely unflappable superstars. I have nice riverbed soil in my tiny yard so I never amend, just sprinkle Rose Tone when I think about it and let them do their own thing.

My mom's soil is dense and crumbly clay. But it's full of azaleas, camellias, fruit trees, crape myrtles, some of my grandma's old hybrid teas, she even trained wisteria into a little tree! So I know it (and she) can grow things. When she googles how to plant roses, there's a lot of like, 17-ingredient amendment recipes, but I'm thinking eh, we're talking about brambles here! Just till it up and mix in some manure or peat or whatever from Lowe's and once they settle in they'll be as easy peasy as mine. Probably. Right?

So: If y'all have any words of encouragement about establishing roses in hard soil, or just successful laissez-faire rose gardening in general, I'd love to pass them along! Thanks so much.

Comments (24)