SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nmbexcuse

Iguanas are eating new orchid flower buds

Miami Cuse
2 years ago

OK my wife is extremely upset that for the last three months, all her outdoor orchids (I think she has about 100 orchids) and it doesn't matter which kind, as soon as a new sprout showed up it gets eaten by iguanas.

She tried to scare them off, didn't work.

She tried to arrange them differently, instead of sitting on a plant stand, she tried hanging some from the gazebo rafters, didn't matter, they will crawl up over and down to munch on them.

She tried to spot new sprouts and bring them into the patio but this is not always practical and the iguanas spotted them before she does half the time.

She is therefore asking me to help do something. These are small iguanas with a body about 5" long and a long tail. I think I see three of them always hanging around.

I don't want to kill these animals. My first thought was I can set a trap with some bananas and catch them. Then I will drive to a near by park to release them.

Then I learned that you cannot release an iguana you catch inside your home in Florida. So the only option is to kill them?

I see three of them, about the same size, does this suggest there is a mom nearby with a nest? That getting rid of those three just means more will come take their places?

Is there any chemicals or something that can deter them that I can spray around the perimeter of the gazebo?

Any suggestions?

Comments (8)