SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christopher_cnc

The Lackadaisical Garden

Christopher CNC
2 years ago

I must have hit a nerve. Sorry. That post disappeared. I kind of like the very notion of a lackadaisical garden. If you have a style preference, own it. Done well, lackadaisical can have a lot of botanical charm.

It would be wrong to imply this approach is somehow super easy. A lot of physical gardening happens that most people would not be willing or even know how to do. Three acres of ground to tend also has a major bearing on things. A lazy person wants to avoid work. A lackadaisical person is content to let things happen. Is that so bad in a garden?

At this time of year when most people are frantic mowing, trimming, edging, deadheading for the love of God, kvetching over weeds and pestilence of every manner, I am mowing the paths and Great Lawn every other week or so and sitting back and letting it all just happen. The main editing season is mid-March to the end of May. After that it winds dramatically down. I have been pulling a lot of Solidago canadensis the last couple years because it wants to be a monoculture, but it does pull easy and is an if the mood should strike kind of thing.

Lackadaisical, it suits me. It suits me so well I am content to wait for the biggest flush of bloom that begins in August.

Comments (40)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting