SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drtthompson2014

Landscaping for Zero Entry Farmhouse

T2 Jay
3 years ago

I need input on front yard landscaping on our new construction.

We are just installing the lawn (seeding) and need to plan flower beds and trees.

The house is South facing and the front yard gets sun pretty much all day, so I need stuff that can handle that. The soil is more sandy than clay, and we are on a hill, so draining is very good.

My husband is in love with the idea of doing the grassy-weed looking plants along the front porch, for the country vibe. I like the idea of mixing some grasses/shrubs with some pretty perennials. I also LOVE hydrangeas, but know they need shade, so maybe in some pots under the porch with shade??? We do plan to do hanging plants between the columns/beams.

My question is, do I do shrubs/grass plants along the front of the porch, along side the front entry? Or do I just do some arrangements on each side of the house? Do shrubs look ok in front of the porch when it's zero entry??

I am wanting to balance some flowering trees with some deciduous trees that will have beautiful fall colors. Thoughts? I love a crabtree or lilac tree.

Help! Thanks!

Comments (14)