SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wmsimons85

Finishing touches and other discussions. :)

wmsimons85
6 years ago

Decided to start a thread in this section, hopefully no one will ask to close it down. :)

Hope all my wonderful Houzz friends will come visit me as well as each other here.

I will be carrying on with my design challenge which has become a marathon as well as an addiction to my discussions with all of you. :)

Comments (9.6K)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Praying for complete recovery. Getting out of hospital is always good.

• DD Deco
    4 years ago

Frosted, long distance caring is so hard...sounds like you loved on her 💕 Nora, good luck with your crazy to-do list!! And keeping your sister in my prayers - so hard 😞

• Related Discussions

FYI - Clean touch steel finish

Q

Comments (0)
    My DH & I made a trip to our local appliance store today because we are looking to buy a new vacuum. While there, I strolled through the kitchen appliance displays. Did you know Miele came out with something called "clean touch steel" finish? I tried to smudge it but it didn't make any marks. How cool is that? Go figure. . . we bought new appliances for our remodel last year and now Miele comes out with this new finish. It's too late for me but if you're in the market for appliances, you may want to check it out. And, to be clear, I'm not associated with Miele in any way other than we have several appliances made by Miele, as well as appliances not made by Miele. Maybe other brands have this finish too and I am unaware of it. http://www.cnet.com/kitchen-gadgets/?keyword=miele
    ...See More

Lurker w/ almost finished kitchenette. Finishing touch Qs

Q

Comments (10)
    It looks really great! Great job on everything. I wouldn't bother putting pulls on the undersink doors unless they are operable. Some open forward with a plastic tray mounted to the back to put small scrub brushes etc. but unless you plan on doing that I don't see a need for the handles it looks great the way it is.
    ...See More

Daughters bedroom finished! Now I just need the finishing touches

Q

Comments (23)
    Love the bedding and the pink accent items. The bedside lamp is super cute. Perhaps a valance or some curtain panels in a pink print like used in that toss pillow on the bed would add a nice touch to the window. Good luck finding some art work/pictures for the walls.
    ...See More

Kitchen is done, help me with finishing touches please, please...

Q

Comments (61)
    What about counter height bistro table with wood trunks as base, and Pier 1's tempered glass as the top, etc.... 2 wood stools and oval glass? or plywood top, and use your leftover panel fabric as tablecloth...! Leslie Hayes Interiors posted: "you will need the 3 for 36" glass? //Archilla wrote: Joining glass top to stools - Does this have rubber or suction points to keep the glass from moving on top? with kids I'm afraid they'll slide the glass top right off. https://www.houzz.com/photos/leslie-hayes-interiors-contemporary-patio-phvw-vp~815251
    ...See More
  • Nora Lambert
    4 years ago

Thanks DD, sister is better. Out of hospital, which is good. Not someplace you want to be right now.

• Seajay Sparkles
    4 years ago

Frosted. Here’s another lamp that may reach to both the chair and bench for book reading.

• frostedsleet
    4 years ago

Thanks SS. I have the BT Jacob coming Monday. If it doesn’t work that’s a possible consideration although the space is so small not sure. Hope you had a great day!❤️

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Best wishes & prayers.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Very glad your sister is out of the hospital. I had a routine test scheduled for Monday, but cardiologist called and we rescheduled to late next month. We will see. We need to keep as many people as possible out of the hospital. Sure feel for the healthcare providers at this time! Praying for their strength, stamina, and good health!

• Nora Lambert
    4 years ago

I agree Flo. We need to be diligent with hand washing and staying away from large groups. We skipped a Fish Fry last night because of the crowd. However, We are going to go about our life as usual, just trying to be smart and take precautions.

• frostedsleet
    4 years ago

My Bro’s wife text me this yesterday. Meant to share...

”Great devotion today...amazing this exact devotion was written for March 13 with all the craziness in the world going on.”

• Seajay Sparkles
    4 years ago

Thank you Frosted. Powerful and so appropriate. ❤️

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Wow

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Beautiful! Love it! So many great "Devotional" sources out there for anyone to access. On line or in print form. Thanks Frosted!

• DD Deco
    4 years ago

Thanx for sharing Frosted 💜 the timing is crazy appropriate!

• Molly
    4 years ago

Hi Frosted, hope all is well with you and your family. 🥰. Did your daughter decide she was staying home or did she end up bringing the kids to stay with you?

• frostedsleet
    4 years ago

Hey Molly - thanks so much for checking in! Daughter & kiddos are not allowed to go more than 80 miles from Camp Lejeune, but she was planning on staying on base anyway because they are very equipped to take care of our marine families. As much as she would love family visits or going to see family, she’s hunkered down & with hubby in Iraq, feels safer on base.

We have many more FaceTime visits. Elsie, my 3 yr granddaughter does not understand why she can’t go to her church preschool classes or gymnastics class but my DD is so wonderful keeping her and little Luke busy with fun activities. She plays fetch with them on their front lawn. So hilarious. 😂

Is your husband WFH as well? Curious about your experience and how you are managing. Do you have groceries delivered or do you go out?

I know it’s hard for those not use to it. The large global company I work for (2500+ employee) went almost 95% WFH Worldwide. I’ve been a remote worker for over 20 yrs so I’ve got it down, but to be put on WFH with littles or school aged kids and OHs must be such an adjustment. I feel for them. Our company has given them great support & ideas.

• Molly
    4 years ago

Hi Frosted. 🙂. Glad your daughter and kiddos are safe and sound in NC. Playing fetch. 😂😂😂. My DH was laid-off as of 2/1 (not a surprise) so he is home looking for a job, not easy at his age and now with the virus it’s probably going to be a while. 😕

We have mostly been staying inside. We will take a walk once a day, usually around the park across the street, but they have closed that too. 😱. We do venture out to the grocery store and to our local restaurants every now and then, but that’s it.

I do miss going into the office and interacting with other people, emails are just not the same. I’ve been part of conference calls for work, but maybe it’s time for a friend virtual happy hour on zoom. Has anyone done that?

• Lisa SW
    4 years ago

Well look what was in my inbox😂 I’m game! Frosted, happy to hear DD and grands are doing well. It’s been quite an adjustment for everyone. Molly, hope your DH finds something soon.

• Molly
    4 years ago

Perfect timing Lisa, thanks for sharing! A Houzz happy hour would be fun! ⛳️💃💃

• Seajay Sparkles
    4 years ago

Hi Frosted and Molly. I’ve been eavesdropping. I’m very glad Frosted To hear my niece and nephew are being duly entertained by their sweet mama. And staying safe on base is probably best. I know FaceTime isn’t like being there but it’s better to be safe. Sorry to hear about your hubby, Molly, and the timing really sucks. But you’re spending lots of quality time together. Sometimes it’s a good thing. 😂😎. Be safe.

• Seajay Sparkles
    4 years ago

What’s zoom?

• Molly
    4 years ago

An application for group video meetings. A lot of schools and offices are using it. I haven’t tried it yet, but it’s supposed to work great.

• Lisa SW
    4 years ago

I haven’t used it either, but corporate headquarters is now in my upstairs den and a lot of zooming is happening in my house. I think OH and DrW are using it now that they are on line instructors. I’m not tech savvy but I can try. Or we can just post pics. Here’s a sazerac preview😅

• Molly
    4 years ago

Impressive Lisa, I’m waiting until tomorrow to crack open my wine, but enjoy. 🥂

• Seajay Sparkles
    4 years ago

Is that a Manhattan, Lisa.

• Molly
    4 years ago

Another joke from mom this time.

• Lisa SW
    4 years ago

Seajay, it’s a sazerac. Did you not see the name on the bottle of rye? 😉🤣🥃😎

• Seajay Sparkles
    4 years ago

Oh, no. Is it straight rye whiskey with a twist. I’ve never had a sazerac. My aunts and uncles in NY always drank rye and ginger ale.

• Lisa SW
    4 years ago

Rye, cognac, absinthe, and Peychaud’s bitters. The original drink was cognac before rye took over. Mine is two parts rye to one part cognac.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Wow! You guys are way beyond me. That sounds like one sip would put me under the table. Especially since we don’t drink except for a nice glass of wine with dinner occasionally. Be careful now. Stress and hard liquor 🥃 are dangerous combo.

• ladma
    4 years ago

We’ve used Zoom to talk to the girls, and get glimpses of the grands. It works great on an iPad, but if you do it on a pc, you can make a fancy background and pretend you are at the beach, there are lots of other background choices, too. I don’t have a pc, but D1 has chosen Moira Rose’s wig wall as her background.

• Kim
    4 years ago

Wig wall hahaha. Catherine O’Hara is hilarious.

• ladma
    4 years ago

Kim, D1 had to leave the room, and it looked like she magically disappeared into the mirror.

• marrymaid
    4 years ago

Sorry to intrude, but thought we might need this. 😁. You all sure help brighten my day. Stay safe my Houzz friends.

• Molly
    4 years ago

Lol marrymaid!

• Kim
    4 years ago

That’s hysterical!

• Molly
    4 years ago

The seal has been broken. 😊. DH is even joining me which is rare.

• Molly
    4 years ago

Frosted I saw this and it reminded me of your office. Are your shelves complete?

• frostedsleet
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

HI Molly & all...the shelves are basically done. I need to work with what I own & still need to hang pic of my grandchildren. I got the floor lamp. The one below. I was going to try to put together this past weekend but pulled my back out bad and ended up in bed all weekend... 😔 sigh

Then today, we were told our annual salary has been cut by 20% with some additional layoffs. I’m so fortunate to still have my job but you just never know. The current times we are facing is so very unpredictable as many of you well know. It’s always good to be frugal and smart with finances but even more so now. I suspect we will see a lot of creative DIY projects on Houzz. I think there is a thread somewhere I’ve been trying to locate.

I’m going to be thankful for what I have as I think my office looks just fine and I’m so blessed. More importantly my family/friends & Morning Glory friends have been vigilant by social distancing and that’s most important. I continue to pray for Ellen and others with other health conditions, and that they remain safe from this invisible threat.

Once my back is better, I’ve been motivated by Flo and others to tackle some drawers and also fill some boxes of things for Helping Hands. So many people in need. So sad for my nail guy as he supports 3 cousins and their families with young children. Such a heavy weight for him to carry.

I know this will pass and we will come back strong across the world. I’ve read so many wonderful stories of kindness and bravery. People are just so amazing during hard times. 💕😘

• Molly
    4 years ago

Frosted so sorry to hear about your back, hope you feel better soon!! Yikes, that’s a big cut, but thankfully you weren’t affected by the lay-off. I totally get window shopping at the moment and buying small things. I don’t “need” anything urgently so will wait for things to calm down. Also my 2 trials have been/will end up being rescheduled so my OT money is delayed too. So glad I didn’t pull the trigger on my rug.

• ladma
    4 years ago

Frosted, I hope your back feels better soon,anti inflammatory meds if you can. Try some yoga cat/cow stretches, gentle in the pain free range.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Oh, Frosted! Be careful! I know, it's too late now, you've already messed up. Just kidding, so sorry about your back. Man you have to be so careful. I hope it resolves quickly. Back pain is no fun. I like that floor lamp and hope, in due time, you get it together and it does just the trick. My hubby was doing some "work outside" items and man he scared me. I told him, we don't want a trip to the ER because the shovel hit your toe or some such thing. He just doesn't get he can't do what he used to do. Yikes! I am praying our above degree temperatures down here will help kill this doggone virus. So far, our immediate area doesn't have much at all. Of course, we have our share of "stupid" people who make it hard on everyone else! grrrr! Stay safe everyone. Happy Day!

• Seajay Sparkles
    4 years ago

Frosted. I’m very sorry to hear but you will be blessed and supported by the Morning Glories as I have been. we haven’t had much infection here but unfortunately this past weekend the fleeing New Yorkers arrived in droves. I’m sure they are going to want to go to the beach etc. the beaches are closed but groups have been spotted. I’m sure the sheriff will know what to do. 😡

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Hoping everyone stays safe and well♥️

• Kim
    4 years ago

Frosted, thank you for catching us up. Been thinking about you. So sorry about your back injury and the pay cut. Sure hope you feel better each day. 🌈

• shwshw
    4 years ago

Frosted, thinking of you

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Hang in there frosted. Hope the pay cut is temporary and your back settles down. How is your daughter doing and those babies? I sent my 10 year old grandson a big LEGO set and he is in heaven. Has his Dad’s mechanical mind. Great young man. He sent me photos and a voice recording which we love. He was excited. Hopefully it gives his Mom a bit of relief too!

• Seajay Sparkles
    3 years ago

Dear Frosted. We’re thinking about you and hoping everything is okay and you are managing to get through this. DD was asking about you and I know everyone over on her thread would love to hear from you as much as I would, dear friend. ❤️😘

• Molly
    3 years ago

Frosted we miss you! ❤️. Also where is WMS? I hope all is well with her.

• DD Deco
    3 years ago

Frosted, I just caught up!! So sorry to hear about your back and pay cut - geez, double whammy 😔hope you are feeling better by now 🥰 btw - love the lamp ;)

• Molly
    3 years ago

@frostedsleet How are you doing? I hope at this point your back is better and your pay cut was reinstated. 🤞