SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

'Aunt Nellie's Pickled Beets' vs. my home-made ones.

denninmi
13 years ago

Well, I hate to say it, but this grocery store product put mine to shame.

In my culinary tradition, a "pickled beet" was just a beet in vinegar solution, with salt, no spices.

The same neighbor that brought me the fruitcake that was so bland gave me a jar of these.

Well, they are really good, actually.

I'm trying to figure out the spices.

I don't think it's very complicated -- I know I tasted onion and clove. And, I think there may be some mustard in there as well. Probably also just a little bit of garlic, cinnamon, and ginger, and black pepper, but very, very light.

I should have done a "jar-topsy" before I threw out the brine after consuming the beets, to look for whole spices, but alas, I didn't think to. I just put the lid on and discarded (wasteful, I know, but the jar wasn't useful to me). I'm pretty sure there weren't any whole cloves or similar in there, just possibly some powdered spice residue at the bottom of the jar. But, it was hard to tell with the brine being very, very purple-red from the beets.

Also, quite sweet-sour, so there is a good amount of sugar in the brine. But, not overly sweet -- it is similar to a sweet (cucumber) pickle -- sweet but still sour from vinegar.

I'd like to make my own version at home. Just wondered if anyone has a good, sweet, spiced pickled beet recipe they like similar to this product

Comments (17)