SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Help! Why didn't my fruit trees bloom this year???

Stacey Collins
12 years ago

Well I am thoroughly mystified and hoping someone can help shed some light on this.

I have 5 fruit trees planted 3 years ago: 3 apples and 2 pears. Last year, I got great blooms from all but one pear (a cheapo plant I bought to be the pollinator for my "good" pear.) I let the most mature apple tree make me about 8 apples last year.

This spring, the only thing that flowered was the cheapo pear.... about 3 weeks ago. I have been waiting and watching and the other 4 trees have NO sign of flower buds and are pretty well leafed out. Last year they all bloomed with my crabapples; the crabapples are past bloom now but still no flowers on the fruit trees.

What happened?????

Clues?

-In February/march when I pruned, I brought some pruned branches inside to force and THOSE bloomed for me.

-I sprayed with Bonide (organic) dormant oil before bud break in early April.

-We have had a cool/rainy spring.

-I sprayed with organic copper fungicide before 1/2" green, and with sulfur after that. Just 3x so far.

-Varieties are:

Bartlett pear (was already 2-3 yrs old when planted spring '09; flowered well '09, '10, no fruit.)

Honeycrisp Apple (was already 2-3 yrs old when planted spring '09, flowered well '09, '10, a few apples last year.)

2x Liberty Apple (planted as 1 yr olds spring '09. Flowers, no fruit '10.)

Kieffer Pear- cheapo from Home Depot, bought as pollinator for Bartlett. Did NOT flower last year, but flowered well this year. The only one that flowered. I cannot remember if I sprayed that one with dormant oil or not.

Is it possible that the dormant oil spray made them not flower? Can anyone think why else this might have happened?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional