SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amberglen

Uncooperative Neighbor…help?!

Koh & Co.
17 days ago

I am surrounded by very unfriendly neighbors in this new development. Last year one neighbor refused to let me take down two sections of the fence so the machinery can get through for a pool. I paid half for that fence. I had to give up my dream of having a pool. This year I want to plant trees between our two driveway. Not only would these beautiful columnar aspens complement both our houses, they can also hide behind the tree so they don’t have to run into the house when they see me. Should I still go ahead and plant the trees? It’s my property too and I am paying for it .

Comments (16)

• kitasei2
    17 days ago

If I had any means of stopping a neighbor from putting in a pool I would use it! Although what will the neighbor do when he needs to get some heavy equipment in to fix something vital? I don't think your trees will stay on your half of the strip.

Can you put an above ground pool in?

Tbere is nothing worse than unpleasant neighbor relations. Sorry.

• Sigrid
    17 days ago

Plant something shorter on your side. Make sure it doesn't produce a lot of litter. My crabapple is beautiful, but it produces a lot of tiny crapapples in the fall, which splat on cars parked on the driveway.

• beesneeds
    17 days ago

Who owns the property, is it part of an HOA? I'm not seeing a fence but, was part of their problem that allowing the fence panels down and access meant people crossing over the line onto their property?

The aspens are lovely. But if you can't get them planted in completely into your property, and that strip looks kind of narrow, your neighbor might take to trimming anything that crosses over the line or cause other issues.

• Paul F.
    17 days ago

So, I take it that this is a second neighbor you are having a problem with or the same one?

• Eileen
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

First be certain that the trees will thrive there. Then approach the neighbor. If he doesn't agree, you'll be creating more problems. He could cut all the limbs off his side.

I think a row of small shrubs would be more agreeable, grow better, and look more in balance for the space. You'll probably be the one who has to mulch it every year but it's better than having to mow it.

• cecily 7A
    17 days ago

Exactly how much of that strip is yours?

• Paul F.
    17 days ago

Blocking your own view as you back up in your car is not a good idea with children around.... or anytime really. Low hedge?

• 3onthetree
    17 days ago

See the "vee" sloped grading between the houses, continuing out to the sidewalk? This is to direct water. You should not interrupt this swale, nor plant right on any property line, where this "vee" appears to be the property line. I'd estimate you have about 2' to the property line, so this is not an appropriate selection of plant given that, it's closeness to your driveway, and the half-wall (?).

Also, there are still ways to have a pool with access restrictions.

• anj_p
    17 days ago

Kind of sounds like if you need to remove fence that you share with a neighbor, the pool equipment would be on your neighbor's property as well as yours. Unless you also said you would repair the fence and repair their yard, I don't think it's that surprising that someone wouldn't want that on their property.

Also that tiny strip of grass is not at all suited to those massive trees. Really nothing except maybe ground cover should go there. Ditto to below that it's probably a drainage swale and you might have a drainage easement there - meaning you can't do anything to that space that will affect drainage. Which honestly means you can't do much of anything. Check your plat.

• floraluk2
    17 days ago

I have to say I too would object strongly if my neighbour wanted to plant those aspens on that narrow strip. The trees are beautiful per se but totally unsuited to that situation. They are far too big. They are also relatively short lived and the roots will spread through both your yards.

• Eileen
    17 days ago

In my city they plant arborvitae between properties with narrow spaces. I don't care for the plant but it grows fine.

• Jennz9b
    17 days ago

That area is too small to plant any trees in- all drainage problems trees in that spot could create aside. Regarding the pool, i didnt see the word ”temporarily” in the sentence about taking fence down.

• beesneeds
    17 days ago

Ok, since the OP pics didn't have a fence, and I couldn't tell what that was supposed to be about... I looked the OP up, see if there was other posts or more pics to see. Their posting history does not show, but they have a phone number listed. The phone number lookup leads to a street address. The street address shows up as an air-rental. Pics match up to the kind that the OP is showing. So I'm wondering a smidge if it's really being rented out and if that might be contributing to neighbors reluctuance to give ground or permissions.

• PRO
    Koh & Co.
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Hi, it’s my property and I do have Airbnb in the basement. Two different neighbours with the pool situation and the trees. Re: pool the thought about taking down the fence temporarily is to give access for the equipment. I would have put everything back at my cost of course. They didn’t want me to tear up their lawn, but this week they torn it all up to replace with stones. I also didn’t mention I didn’t gripe about the fence being 5” on my property. Technically I could have torn it down and make them rebuild on their actual property line; then maybe the smaller bobcat could fit through but I would be the hated neighbour.
    Re: the trees I really appreciated all the advice. Disturbing the swale is a good enough reason I should not plant the trees there. I have another spot.

• Eileen
    17 days ago

Saw the video online. You bought in a neighborhood that isn't conducive to what you want to do with your property and now you're infringing on your neighbors with a pool, trees, and quite possibly an Airbnb in the basement. The sooner you realize that, the happier everyone will be.

Take out the strip of grass and plant a groundcover. Surely your neighbor will agree to that.