SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Meatballs

plllog
11 days ago

I started a thread about "emulsification" in meatballs, which they've been mentioning on TV a lot, but it disappeared in process. No loss. I found a website that explains it's what happens when you add water to the ground meat (actually, the fat in the meat). Well...yeah. That's a classic, and if I don't add water, I add whole eggs, which is another way. This affects the texture, of course.

Before I found that explanation, I was thinking about the old Italian guy's meatballs, which were delicious, but had a texture finer than pâté, and sausages vs. hotdogs, and wondering if they were emulsified. Apparently, yes. Similar things in the explanation I read.

So many ways to make meatballs. So many arguments over what's a burger, what's a meatball, what's a meatloaf. My proportions are different for meatballs and meatloaf, and flavors, but they're not hugely different. Or, that is, until you get to the meatballs--my favorite--which have as much or more volume of minced onion and carrot as meat. And a lot of dry parsley to soak it up, as well as matzah.

What kind of meatballs do you make? What's your favorite texture? Do you emulsify (intentionally)?

Comments (30)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!