SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marievalencia

Advice on exterior final painting walkthrough

Marie Valencia
20 days ago

Hello!

The whole exterior of my house was repainted and I have concerns about detail craft that have been expressed all along to the foreman, and partially ignored. Our final walkthrough is two days from now and advice is requested on what to ask to have corrected and what to accept as either falling within an acceptable threshold or accepting as the quality the crew is capable of.

For context I’ve met with the foreman a few times, and he tends to address half the concerns each time. I also found him condescending. For instance, he initially tried to convince me poor craft went with the rustic aesthetic of my 1960s house, and if I expected this level of prep, such as filling nail holes and removing staples, the job would have been quoted higher. I received five quotes based on in person estimates, and theirs was second to highest. Its a small local operation with good reviews in neighborhood groups. I have not yet completed payment.

Concerns

-landscape was not tarped prior to prep (as detailed in contract) and there is significant debris and paint chips left behind. Should I ask them to go over again and manually clean up? They did once begugingly when asked, and only got about a quarter of the debris.

-caulk where wood siding meets framing is caulked poorly, very uneven, thick, with some areas textured. It looks like a large finger was used to smooth with excess sometimes wiped on the siding. This was brought up three times during painting and each time it was not addressed. Should I accept this or ask them to remove the uneven caulking and redo?

-paint over wood siding dripped and has some paint bridges between shingles. should drips be sanded and repainted, with paint bridges removed?

-some holes were not filled prior to paint, for instance, holes from old hardware, and some hardware was left and painted over, for instance, staples. should this be corrected?

Thanks for advice in helping me approach the conversation and help to manage my expectations.

Comments (2)