SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmmm12cozone5

High Country Roses greenhouse pictures

mmmm12COzone5
last month
last modified: last month

I went to High Country Roses to research some possible purchases and took some pictures of the plants. I know alot of people order from them and would be interested to see them.

Pearlie Mae, a Buck rose, are the big flowers in the foreground.

There are 3 big green houses like this and then a 4th building with a similar number of roses to these along with the packing area. People were working there so I didn't take pictures. There is another building which probably contains the mature plants for cuttings and I didn't go into that one.

Had a great time and saw some great roses. Matt came out to go over my list with me and give his personal insights. Then he let me wander on my own to check out all the roses. Fantastic place to visit if you come to Denver.
Some lucky warm zone people are getting their shipments since I saw 3 people busy packing roses for shipment.

Comments (93)

• strawchicago z5
    26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

rosecanadian Evelyn is HUGE at over 3 feet as own-root, the Dark Lady is much smaller & compact for pot at 2' x 2' as own-root in my zone 5, plus the bloom is 5 inch. across, with an amazing wafting scent (old rose):

This was the 1st bloom of The Dark Lady as own-root: over 4" across that covered my fingers:

mmmm12COzone5 thanked strawchicago z5
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    26 days ago

Straw, beautiful Dark Lady!

All my 4 roses from HCR are in ground.

Bolero has a bud

Golden Opportunity

Hopefully it will climb

Twilight Zone was the weakest and it has grown a little stronger. leaves are somewhat paler than others still. To the right is Julia Child

After the order from Garden Rose lls falls, I planted Pop Art the spot I saved for Augusta Louise.. It seems happy

Happy Rose Gardening🌹🌹🌹

mmmm12COzone5 thanked forever_a_newbie_VA8
  • Related Discussions

Is Hallie's Rose High Country Banshee?

Q

Comments (2)
    I hope you know that I've been talking about Hallie's Rose on the antique rose web for a long time, over 10 years, and didn't even know about High Country Banshee when I began. HCB is not Banshee, but that is what they originally thought so, that is what they called it. I went out to look for dark purple foliage and small red berries on my rose, and they were there. This is a Halloween rose mystery, I guess. I've collected albas, centifolias, damasks, eglantines, rosa xanthina, rugosas, hybrid perpetuals and none of them have the cane hardiness nor the scent and grandeur of Hallie's Rose in full bloom. She still is my most beautiful rose. Gosh, I would love to know the story, if roses could talk.
    ...See More

High Country Roses review: pics of what my order looked like

Q

Comments (6)
    Those look great! I hope you end up with lots of happy, healthy growth by the end of this season. :)
    ...See More

$16.95 Austins online at High Country Roses

Q

Comments (15)
    I went back today and exchanged the Rosa Rugosa Alba for a Sally Holmes. I was nervous about the suckering. I gave in to temptation and bough a Pretty Lady Rose and a Sparkle and Shine. I was drawn to the size, scent and color of the Pretty Lady Rose. The Sparkle and Shine I thought might make a nice compliment to the color of the other and it had a very large bloom. Not quite sure where I will put them yet. I should have planed and then bought. Here is a picture of the greenhouse for those who have ordered but never been there. Here is another one, different angle. I walked up and down the aisles, taking pictures of the ones I liked so I could look them up at home and check out their characteristics. Right now I don't have a plan for any of them. But I do have one empty bed that I may try to figure out a good plan for roses.
    ...See More

When Does High Country Roses Typically Restock?

Q

Comments (31)
    High Country Rose was 2 miles from a mandatory evacuation area of the Boulder County fires. Matt's neighborhood was in pre-evac but that has now been lifted. I think we can assume some of the employees were affected. The fires are still going this morning but the high winds are gone so they are fighting them. The 100+ mph winds spread the fires in an uncontrolled way. We have snow coming which should help with the fires. But there are alot of people without power and on Sat. it is supposed to be high of 18F and low of 5F so lots of people will have frozen pipes. We have power and water. But the outside of the house, yard and everything is covered in ash as we were in the direct line of the blowing smoke. Fires got to be 5 miles away so we took pictures of the entire interior and had our to go bags packed and by the door.
    ...See More
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Just got back from my second visit. Was able to get some photos of flowers I didn't see last time.

Forever_a_newbie, Golden Opportunity really caught my eye on the visit today. The flowers were gorgeous! Post pictures as it gets bigger. To me the flowers were more orange sherbet than golden but sometimes the greenhouse ones aren't the same color as they get in full sun. They were really a good size.

Pop Art had 8 blooms this time. I took pictures of 4 of them to show the variety. The blooms were mid size. I wonder if they get bigger as the plants get bigger.

• strawchicago z5
    26 days ago

Thank you !! I love yellow roses. Both are so lovely, and forever_a_newbie_VA8 pic. of Golden Opportunity looks so vigorous and healthy.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    26 days ago

I thought Smoothie was darling!

Finally got to see George Olivia. Really like the blooms!

Also wanted to see Vineyard Song but forgot to look for it! The plants are in alphabetical order and by the time I got to the V's I forgot about it.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    26 days ago

I looked at Silver Lining a few times, but only took one picture. Should have taken more. Why? Because the blooms were enormous! Maybe the largest ones I saw while there. I told my self there was no way this would do well in CO. I'd never seen anything this big out in a garden. I hadn't been really looking for a lilac rose but may get this one just because.

Just found this photo. The big purple ones over to the right were Silver Lining. This shows the scale of the flowers better.

For yellow roses Sparkle and Shine has caught my eye more than once. I really liked the scent on this one. It was probably my favorite of the ones I sniffed.

White Licorice is the other yellow rose I'm looking at. The flowers weren't accessible for sniffing so I still don't know what it smells like.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Sexy Rexy is one I'm considering for a pink but I have alot of pinks so not sure I will add another.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    26 days ago

@mmmm12COzone5, thanks so much for taking time to post these pictures. If I had seen your picture of smoothie I would have bought it with the others.

And your picture of Golden Opportunity makes my heart sing. I sometimes got a Julia Child rose of that color in deep fall and I was always amazed. I have so much expectation on GO now😼

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Enchanted Peace caught my eye again.

As did Tiddly Winks.

That pretty much wraps up this visit. Still didn't see all the ones I wanted to. Princess Charlene de Monaco still had no flowers. The plants were enormous so I'm hoping to catch one at some point. I think there was at least one bud. It is cold here so not everything was blooming.

I looked everywhere for President Shanley but couldn't find it. The web site says out of stock and they must have already shipped all they had. I was bummed but put it on my wish list for another time.

I don't know what is up with my Denver's Dream. The ones at the green house are taller than the one growing in my rose garden! Maybe mine is in too much shade.

There were 5 people packing up roses for shipment so some of you in warmer zones should be getting some new goodies soon!

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Forever_a_newbie, I think you made a great choice with Golden Opportunity. It wasn't on my list but caught my eye because the flowers were stunning. I sort of did a double take when I walked by. I should have gotten a wider picture since there were more than those 2 flowers.

You can see them in this picture but they are way to the back. Locate the grey utility looking box in the back center. Follow straight down from it to the large orange flowers in the center back of the picture behind the field of white flowers. Those big orange ones were Golden Opportunity.

• rosecanadian
    26 days ago

Straw - oh, you know how much I love your The Dark Lady blooms!!! Yes, I'll have to get that next year!! But Evelyn could sneak in my order too. :) :) Your TDL blooms... SWOON!!!! Are HCroses bare root?

Forever - they all look really healthy!! Gonna be fun to have blooms from these beauties!

mmmm - did you take a sniff of Pop Art? I've got one coming this spring. :) Oh, yes...I so agree with you...Smoothie is a real charmer...so beautiful! I love my White Licorice...it's one of my favorite roses!! It has a strong fragrance...I can't describe it though...sort of like licorice...but not really. I'm surprised that Sparkle and Shine has a strong fragrance since hmf members rate it as only good. It's very pretty. High Country Roses sure has roses with beautiful foliage.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked rosecanadian
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Sorry but I can't remember if I smelled pop art. I may not have because the plants were short and the flowers low.

Sparkle and Shine struck me as being one I'd like to add for fragrance. I think Golden Opportunity also had a nice fragrance. Really a bunch of them did.

The greenhouse has a overwhelming number of varieties so after I went through and took my pictures I rewalked them, smelling different roses.

• rosecanadian
    25 days ago

mmmm - thanks. :) Sparkle and Shine...who knew. :) :) I love yellow roses. Are you going to get S and S?

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    25 days ago

Yeah I am wondering about Pop Art too. It is amazing such tiny plants could produce blooms already. The different shapes and colors you show are lovely. hmf says bloom Average diameter 4.25".

I think I catch the Golden Opportunity in your picture. Thanks so much for the details. This definitely will bring sunshine to any dim days! S&s is great too and Denver’s Dream is striking

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    25 days ago

rosecanadian, I haven't decided on my strategy yet. We've had some wet snow storms that cause broken branches so are behind on our spring prep since our trash cans are getting filled every week. Our rose garden right now is very manageable. Have to decide how much more work it will be for my husband if we expand. But winter is the time of year it is fun to contemplate possibilities.

• rosecanadian
    24 days ago

mmmm - yes, it's fun to dream and plan. :)

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    24 days ago

@mmmm12COzone5

Yesterday when I went to Lowes they still had Pcdm bare root. They are all leafing out nicely. I thought about you not seeing bloom in HCR greenhouse. They look so nice I cannot help getting one $19.99).

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    24 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

rosecanadian, Yes, after the visit to the green house, in my dream, I put together White Licorice, Silver Lining, Smoothie and Sparkle and Shine. I've always loves purple and yellow together and though the 4 of them would make a nice grouping.

Forever_a_newbie, When your Pcdm blooms post pics of it. I likely won't be going back to the green house until late April, early May so hope I don't miss it blooming.

If anyone has Smoothie, does it crisp in the sun?

• rosecanadian
    24 days ago

Forever - I bought a PCdM this year too. I hope I love it. :) That's a great price you got yours for.

mmmm - yes, those would be great together...purples and yellows!! :) :)

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Greenhouse pics today 4.15.24

I decided I couldn't live without Smoothie so I went down to look it over one more time and put in my order.

While I was there I scoped out some more plants.

South Africa was one I hadn't seen before and was really pretty.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Sunbeam Veranda

Soul Sister

Vavoom

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    12 days ago

All three times I've been there this year Enchanted Peace has been in bloom. I have a call into Matt about it but may order it and then figure out where to put it. I have been wanting to add a yellow rose and this bi-color yellow and pink may be the one I get. Any feedback from anyone before I order would really be helpful.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    12 days ago

For the person looking at Distant Drums, here is the stock.

The same person was also looking at Koko Loco.

Tag is in lower left of this picture. I believe all flowers in this picture were Koko Loco.

• rosecanadian
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

mmmm - I'm so glad you went back and got Smoothie!! Of all the roses you've shown from there...that's the one that really sings. :)

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    12 days ago

Yeah Smoothie is a sweetie

I did not know HCR has distant drums. I guess I was getting it from GRllc so did not look further. But I am happy what I have now and maybe someday it will show up in a local shop

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thanks Rosecanadian, I actually have two possible spots for Smoothie in my mulch beds. I was tempted to get two but figured I would see how this one did first before jumping in with multiples of the same rose (like I've done in the past). Besides, now I still have room for one more without committing to open a new bed. We are still up in the air about that.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Still a bit spit between Chantilly Cream and White Licorice.

Chantilly Cream only had one flower today.

White Licorice had a bunch and they were really pretty.

I still loved Silver Lining but it really is similar in color to my Love Song so I'm going to probably pass on it.

• rosecanadian
    11 days ago

mmmm - did you smell both roses? Which one do you like better? My White Licorice is a great bloomer. Never stops. I love the fragrance. :)

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    11 days ago

rosecanadian, I did finally get to smell White Licorice! To me it had a light scent that was sort of licorice like but there were other notes in there also. The fully open blooms didn't have a scent but the younger ones did. Unfortunately I didn't think to smell Chantilly Cream. The plants are kept alphabetically so they are several greenhouses away from each other. :-)

• strawchicago z5
    11 days ago

How's the scent of South Africa compared to Golden Opportunity? Thank you.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Strawchicago, unfortunately I did not smell either of them. When I go back I will give them a sniff.

I'm very interested in Enchanted Peace but would have to pull a rose out to put it in my rock bed. Talked to Matt and he thinks Enchanted Peace would be a die back every year rose but he hasn't grown it in his own yard so I was trying to get more info on it.

Smoothie is going in the mulch and I have room for another in the mulch but want another thornless if I can find one.

• rosecanadian
    11 days ago

mmmm - I'm glad you noticed the other notes in the fragrance profile. :) I can't describe the fragrance...but here WL has a strong scent to it. :) Yay for Smoothie!!

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    2 days ago

"How's the scent of South Africa compared to Golden Opportunity? Thank you."

Strawchicago,

South Africa had a light scent. I had trouble telling what type it was. There are alot of competing rose scents in the greenhouse.

Golden Opportunity didn't seem to have much of a scent.

Rosie the Riveter had a great scent. I would buy this one for scent alone but I also really like the flower, which was huge.

• strawchicago z5
    2 days ago

Thank you, for fantastic info. and pics. of roses at HCR.

• Ryan Coastal LA Zone 10b
    2 days ago

South Africa has a medium strength mango-tropical fruit scent. I quite like it; it fits the rose. Mine is 2nd year own root band from HCR. Golden Opportunity at The Huntington was beautiful but had no fragrance I could discern.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Ryan Coastal LA Zone 10b
  • strawchicago z5
    2 days ago

Ryan Coastal LA Zone 10b Thank you for your experience with both scents. South Africa is on my wish list.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

Forever Amber is one I keep looking at each visit. I love this rose!

I thought Forever and Ever Pink was darling.

Sunbeam Veranda was a really pretty midsized yellow rose.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Fiesta Veranda has been in massive bloom every time I visit. Makes me want to consider it. I love all the different colors.

Moonstone was really pretty.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    2 days ago

A great picture from my morning walk before discussing the ones I'm ordering here in Colorado.

I bought Victorian Memory. I don't have a spot yet where I want to put it but I do want to try it. Matt says it can really get big here.

Big healthy Victorian Memory plants.

Some thorns on Victorian Memory but not alot.

Unfortunately only a spent flower to take a picture of.

I bought a Belinda's Blush also.

This was chosen for my mulch bed due to it lack of thorns.

Belinda's Blush and Smoothie are going into the mulch bed.

Smoothie I ordered after the last visit. This picture shows more aged blooms than I saw last time.

Renny was one I wanted to buy but it is showing out of stock so I put it on my wish list. I didn't spot any thorns on it but would like to hear from current owners whether it has thorns.

I took Enchanted Peace out of my cart because it appears in warmer weather it loses it's yellow.

Picture of Matt working in the green house. He has staff also but I don't usually take pictures of people without their permission so never include them. They were all busy packing roses for shipment.. Figured he wouldn't mind this one. His adorable black lab is at his feet and I got to pet her.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Ryan, Thank you for clarifying South Africa's scent. I could smell something pretty but wasn't sure what it was. I will try again with the idea of Mango/Tropical.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    yesterday

Where is that lovely walk?

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    yesterday

I thought it might be! Great picture.

• Melissa Kansas 5b/6a
    yesterday

Where is HCR located? Maybe I will visit next time I’m that way. Do you make an appointment?

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Melissa Kansas 5b/6a
  • Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    yesterday

Broomfield, CO

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • Melissa Kansas 5b/6a
    yesterday

That’s close for me!

yesterday

You should go! It's great fun!😊

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Melissa, They are open by appt. but in reality they are there most days and just need you to call and let them know you want to come. They welcome visitors. I met Vaporvac there one time!

It is alot of fun and a bit overwhelming to have all those roses available to see.

• Melissa Kansas 5b/6a
    yesterday

Now I need to plan a trip to Colorado! This is just a 3 1/2 hr drive for me— we are so rural that Denver is our closest city.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    yesterday

Melissa, I've never tried to go on a weekend so when I said most days I meant most week days. I think the appt is to make sure there is someone there to check you out or answer questions. Since it is primarily a mail order business it isn't staffed like a retail store and not everything you see at the green house is for sale.

However, if something shows in stock on the web site you can buy it and take it with you. You will see out of stock items but usually that means all the plants have been preordered and are waiting shipment.

They are super friendly and I know Matt enjoys talking to his customers and showing them around. For someone into roses it is a real delight to wander the aisles and see roses you've only read about.

• Melissa Kansas 5b/6a
    yesterday

It sounds wonderful!