SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

This deer deterrent would work, but it may not exist

laceyvail 6A, WV
2 months ago

And since I'm not very mechanically/technologically minded, it may even not be possible. But I'd like to put something on a small post that, like the wire of an electrical fence, could be baited with peanut butter and would give deer a shock. I'd place it in one leg of my L-shaped ornamental bed--easy reach to the outside electrical outlet and then move it to the other leg.

I know this kind of thing works. For many, many years I baited the electric fence around my veggie garden when I saw deer sign in the yard. When deer have a bad/scary experience in an area, they avoid it for some time--and they spread the word.

I know it would work in theory, but is it possible to do it in just one spot rather than a closed circuit fence? And does anyone know if such a thing is sold. I sure don't have the skill to make one.

Comments (47)

• bengz6westmd
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Sounds like you have a real deer issue. I did the same thing as you in VA w/a standard AC powered fence transformer -- it worked. One shocking experience for each deer, and they avoided the spot. Technically, a car battery w/an inverter hooked to an electric fence transformer (with the transformer grounded w/a ground rod) could work by a single wire attached to a single insulated post, say, in the center of your area to be protected and the bare wire "baited" w/peanut butter. But the battery/transformer/inverter would need protection from the weather and the battery would have to be recharged at regular intervals. This really would have to be done by someone with electrical experience tho.

You could do the above w/a standard setup -- an AC outlet powering the electric fence transformer, and similarly have no more than a single post as described above.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you, but what you have explained might as well be in Sanskrit. I simply have no idea of what you mean or how it can be done. Not your fault; I'm just a complete idiot when it comes to mechanical/tech/electrical, etc.

Going to send your post to a friend who might understand it.

• Related Discussions

Catnip as a deer deterrent?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks Planatus, That is why I asked! I didn't think it would work! I picked up some old pallets from our shipping dept. as a quick fix and laid them around my other fruit trees. Because I didn't think they would cross them, so far so good. I'm about done picking the rest of the nectarines and I'm waiting on the few apples that I have. A late frost killed almost all of my fruit tree blossoms and fruit. I didn't get a single peach, cherry, or pear.
    ...See More

SSScat for Deer Deterrent

Q

Comments (1)
    Never seen this before at petsmart. May have to check it out. :)
    ...See More

Garlic: fresh vs powder as Deer deterrent

Q

Comments (1)
    Forget the garlic. Hang pieces of Irish Spring soap in cheesecloth or old pantyhose.
    ...See More

vinegar as a deer or cat deterrent?

Q

Comments (10)
    I have had problems with deer, and there are all kinds of ideas out there from balls of human hair, to bars of soap, to cougar pee. In my experience, none of these things work, or work for very long. The only thing I have found that works -- besides a big outdoor dog -- is a device you can buy online for about $40 called a Scarecrow. It hooks up to a garden hose and is activated by body heat and/or movement. If anything walks near it, it goes off for a few seconds like a ratcheting lawn sprinkler. The combination of surprise, noise, and water sends the deer running. They were destroying my fruit trees by breaking off branches so they could eat the leaves more easily. After I installed a couple of the Scarecrows they only came back once...for a few seconds; that was 5 years ago. If you have a small enough area, one Scarecrow will do; if you have a larger property, you need several so they can't sneak around the field of spray (which is about 30', and up to about 180 degrees). If you're not sure about dropping money on something like this, take a look at the Amazon reviews: out of about 950 reviews, over 800 are 4- or 5-stars. Here is a link that might be useful: Scarecrow
    ...See More
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I just spoke with my friend who's got it all figured out. Just have to get a few components. Thank you so much, bengz!

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Wow, an even better solution found by my friend's wife: Check out this site! Highly informative, very reasonable price, unconditional guarantee and it's been available since 1995. How come all us gardeners have never heard of it? I plan to order it today.

• bengz6westmd
    2 months ago

Well that's pretty cool. You could enhance it by putting a swab of peanut-butter right at the base of the post.

• indianagardengirl
    2 months ago

That’s fascinating, laceyvail. Do keep us ’posted’ as it were!

• jrb451
    2 months ago

Me too!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 months ago

That looks like it might work, but I have a very large area, and it would be very expensive. I also wonder how this would affect dogs -- my dog is free to roam, and while she tends to stay on the paths and doesn't trample the plants, I'd be worried she'd investigate and get shocked. Would a human get shocked by bumping into it or touching it and how badly would that hurt? I'd eventually end up tripping or bumping into one...

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Somewhere on the site it addresses contact by others. As for PB at the base, I'd be a little wary that they'd go to the base rather than the top where the shock occurs. But the product really looks terrific--well designed and quite effective. There's a lot of general deer deterrent info at the site as well. I was familiar with most of it but new gardeners might not be.

I'll report when I know more. Hoping to use it through late winter/early spring, and that should keep them out until late summer/early fall when they're looking for winter browse.

mxk3--from the site: Dogs should be warned and trained to leave the devices alone. If a dog should contact the electrodes of the device, the shock is uncomfortable but harmless, and they quickly learn never to touch the devices.

But the question remains--why hasn't this taken the nation by storm? All that fussing with milorganite, garlic clips and spray repellents. Why haven't we heard about this product?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 months ago

But *I* don't want to get shocked.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Why would you? You know what it is, you know where you put it, you won't touch it.

• beesneeds
    2 months ago

Maybe it isn't more popular because baiting wildlife to be shocked may be viewed as ethically questionable by some folks. I know electric fences and pops aren't supposed to injure the animals they are supposed to contain or keep out. Some probably don't consider it because of cost- electric fences and pops cost money to set up and run. Just like some people use electric fencing for livestock, but there are probably more people that don't use it. Probably some gardeners aren't keen on electric shock anything around where they are gardening for many reasons.

Though with the way tec has advanced, I wouldn't be surprised if solar powered electric fence and pop options are available or becoming available now. Like for moving fencing for smaller livestock like goats. So maybe try checking with your local farm stores that are more likely to sell electric fencing in general. You might find some options there.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 months ago

"Why would you? You know what it is, you know where you put it, you won't touch it."

I've tripped and fallen over things, accidentally bumped into things, and absentmindedly set my hand down on things I shouldn't have. Haven't we all?

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Solar charging for electric fences has been available for years. I had one at least 15 years ago and maybe more. The product on the site I linked to needs nothing else except batteries. No additional charger, posts or anything else, though the scent capsules require monthly replacement.

I used electric fencing around my veg garden at my previous home in addition to 9 ft high deer fencing. The single strand electric was mostly used against raccoons who wanted to climb the fence. I have no qualms whatsoever about giving wildlife a harmless electric shock to keep them out of my garden. Deer populations are hugely out of control--they have become hoofed rats, gorging and flourishing on gardens both ornamental and vegetable. What's the option? Shooting them, which you can't do in town anyhow. Surely a very mild electric shock is better.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    2 months ago

I say whatever works. Electric fence doesn't harm the deer. They don't understand what's happening when they get shocked, it startles them, and they don't like it.

Just like anything or anybody, if they run into something that's not pleasant, they steer clear of it.

Let us know how this works out Laceyvail. I'm always interested in hearing firsthand reports on ways to deter deer.

;-)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I will post as soon as I know something definite. That might take some time since I'm also using other deterrents around highly vulnerable woodies--not taking any chances. But I'm know this technique works since it worked with fencing at the veggie garden, keeping them out of the entire yard/cleared area, which was quite large.

• jrb451
    2 months ago

I ordered three sets last night. I’ll report our experiences.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 months ago

here is a link that is easy to find and see: https://wirelessdeerfence.com/how-it-works/

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I just ordered a set of three--comes with enough lures to replace them monthly as indicated for a year. Now I have to remember to get batteries.

• jrb451
    2 months ago

Well, it works. Time will tell if it's a solution.

• indianagardengirl
    2 months ago

It will be interesting to see if they begin to avoid the area, or if they come to recognize which ’plant’ to stay away from. I hope you will keep posting results!

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I am presently completely baffled by the set I ordered. Two of the three units worked fine, good spark and I set them out. I couldn't get the third unit to produce a spark, using batteries from the same pack that I used in the first two. I was kindly sent another unit, and I purchased a brand new package of energizer batteries. But the new unit doesn't work. I tried four different batteries from the new package--no spark. Then I took the 4 batteries and tried them in a clock that uses just one AA battery. Each battery worked fine.

To make things even stranger, I tested the two units out in the garden that showed a good spark when I set them out last week. NO SPARK!! We did have rain yesterday, but they've been in strong sunlight for at least 4 hours and the laundry on the line is nearly dry.

I don't know what to think or what to do next.

I do know that deer associate an experience with a place and they will avoid an entire area, though they forget after awhile and have to be reminded. Also, young deer will have to learn the same lesson. I used the technique at the last place I lived. But I don't know what could possibly be wrong with the units I have. Two worked fine less than a week ago and now they don't? And a replacement for one that didn't doesn't seem to work at all, despite brand new energizers that work elsewhere.

• jrb451
    2 months ago

I thought one of my units didn't initially work. I left it out and tried it the next day and it "sparked". I know they take a while to recharge. Could that possibly be the issue?

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I've tried the new one with two sets of batteries in it, both left for several hours. Nothing.

The ones outside, and I just now checked them for the third or fourth time today, are still not showing any charge that I can see and they've been in strong sun since abut 8 this morning. It's now 2:30 so they should have dried long ago from the light rain we had yesterday. And I just brought them inside and tested them inside in the same room I had tested them in originally--no spark at all.

Completely baffled.

I'm going to contact the guy who developed them and see if he has any ideas.

jrb451--Have you tested yours since the deer got shocked? Do you still get a spark?

• jrb451
    2 months ago

I just checked and it’s working. They tend to spark easiest when I tap at the top of two prongs, not along the stem, if this makes sense. Our cameras reported no return visits last night so there’s that.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I reviewed testing directions, same as I 've been using since I first tested the original ones. I went out early this morning while it was still quite dark and tested one of them near the house. First 4 tests nothing, then a strong spark and sound, then nothing for 3 further tests. I came inside and tested the replacement that I had tested all day yesterday. I got a strong spark and sound, then nothing. I set it out anyhow. Is this the way they're supposed to work?

I suppose even if they work only occasionally, they'd still be effective for the times they do work. But I'm still baffled. Shouldn't they spark every time?

• jrb451
    2 months ago

Yes, they require some time to recharge after a discharge; a few minutes I believe.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Ok, understand that. But why do I have to try them several times before I get the first spark? And then why did the replacement unit fail to show a spark all day yesterday, tried every few hours, and then spark well early this morning?

• jrb451
    2 months ago

Sorry, I don’t know the answer to that.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 months ago

Maybe it's simply defective.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I think they're all working properly now. And I know for sure the principle works since I saw it over and over again at my last property when I baited a single strand electric fence around the vegetable garden. Since I built my small house and landscaped right where the large deer herd in town crosses the road, it will take some time to discourage them enough that they just cross the road without going through the landscaping. And just on the other side of the road are all the yummy yews they would ever want for winter browse.

• ruth_mi
    2 months ago

I hope you'll keep updating, as these might be very useful to me.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I'm pretty sure I got one last night. There were some deep gouges in the crushed gravel path not far from one of the units. I have 5 out right now and I move them around a little. Keep 'em guessing. And running. I'm sure it may take a couple of years before they decide that the entire area just isn't worth the hassle. The yews are right across the street. They need to try that buffet.

• jrb451
    2 months ago

I got pictures of a second deer being shocked in a different part of the garden. No deer pics on the camera for two days afterward. I’m optimistic. 🤞

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Good sign jrb. Do you move the units around a little?

• jrb451
    2 months ago

I have nine and, Yes, I move them around the garden.

• bengz6westmd
    2 months ago

You can of course turn them off, dab alittle peanut butter right near the top, and turn back on. That'll attract 'em more.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I don't think you'd want to gum up the top. The scented lures seem to work well.

• bengz6westmd
    2 months ago

Don't put it right on the top.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    2 months ago

Anyone tried the motion-activated sprinklers?

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I haven't, but this is so much easier to set up and I know the principle works. I'm hoping to move an entire deer herd just a few dozen feet in their path across my property. And I can see it is already working.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I am completely unable to access any threads on any Houzz/Garden Web forums. I was able to get to this thread this morning, but don't know how long that will last. I can get to the list page and to the posts, but can't open posts. Still trying to get help to fix it. Very computer illiterate here.

As to the deer, the Wireless Deer Fence is definitely working. Seeing big gouges in the area around posts that have sent deer flying away. I keep moving the posts around. I fully recommend them.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Ok, here I'm back again. Had to get a friend to help me follow the Houzz guys instructions because they made no sense to me--good gardener, lousy computer person.

• ruth_mi
    12 days ago

@laceyvail 6A, WV - any update on these? curious now that it's been a while longer. thanks!

• ruth_mi
    11 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

That's great news - may give them a try!

Edited to add that I ordered a set - fingers crossed that it deters them!