SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tammy_kennedy

Fall swap 2023 news

tamelask
7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

Ok, y'all - i know you've been waiting to hear from John about the swap! BUT... he's too busy with the state fair, which is very short staffed, to host this year. So, at some of our regular's urging, i asked if he minded if i hosted this time, and he didn't at all. We are moving it from white deer to just around the corner at our community garden (which is free - John's always paid to have us at the shelter before!) The address is 550 Thompson Road at Thompson Road Park, and we are at the very back. We have picnic tables to eat at, higher tables to set plants on, and will set up some shelters to help with the sun and/or any inclement weather. There's no power - not that we ever used it at white deer. Port o' potties and plenty of parking. He said it'll most likely need to be the same deal for next fall.

We are going with Sept 30th. 1-4 PM, but feel free to come earlier to get your stuff out.

Same rules and set up as always. I'll see if i can even get the ringie dingie bell. :D

As in the past we have no rules, you are free to haul anything gardening related to the swap and give it away - this includes live plants, seeds and bulbs, cuttings, pottery, tools and equipment. One thing that sets our swap apart from others is that we do not require you to even bring plants in order to participate. We always have way more plants than people. If you feel guilty taking something for nothing you can always bring food for the potluck picnic.

You can see it's just about adjacent to where we usually meet. Instead of travelling down to Aversboro Road to get to White Deer Park, though, you turn off Timber Drive onto Thompson Road at the light in front of Timber Drive Elementary School. The road is short, it deadends and you really can't miss the park on the left. :) The address is 550 Thompson Road at Thompson Road Park, and we are at the very back.

Comments (39)

• JJLM garden 7b
    7 months ago

Yay! i put it in my calendar!

• Related Discussions

NEW: New Back to School-Fall 2012 Fresh Seed Swap Everything

Q

Comments (69)
    A reminder to all to post a Rate & Review for Willy. I can't beleive he has only 8 (and 2 are from me). Please take the time. He deserves recognition for all he has done for us. Thanks
    ...See More

NEW: New Spectacular Fall Seed Swap 2014

Q

Comments (119)
    I may be totally wrong but I think Willy is trying to put better packages together. When I see a post like sdambr , I'm thinking he saw my original post a long while back and is trying to make better packages. This would take a long while because he sells 1, 2,5 seeds so he would have to be repacking for a long time. I wouldn't worry about seeds, I have not heard of anyone saying they didn't ever get seeds, he is just slow... Lisa
    ...See More

2023 Raleigh Spring Swap

Q

Comments (23)
    I left my pyrex dish (with brownies) at the swap by accident! I'm hoping someone will save it and bring it next time. Or I can pick it up if you'd rather.
    ...See More

2023 Fall Plant Swap???

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Camille, Thanks for offering to host again! You certainly have a great place to have it! I recommend doing it just like you did in spring--kind of get a consensus on what date people prefer having it, and then start "the real swap thread" with the date in the subject. I just scrolled down and the spring swap threads are still on the first page so you can easily go down to them if you're not sure just what you did then. Just for reference, the earliest we've had the fall swap was September 6th, and the latest swap was October 3rd. [Actually, in 2012 we had one on October 14th--it was planned very quickly when nobody had posted to have one!] I'll be "on the wrong side of the hills" until the very end of September so couldn't come before the very last weekend in September--but as always, go with the date that "most people prefer!" If I can't make it I'll be looking forward to "the next one!" Thanks again for volunteering to host, Skybird TH 08.03.23 @ 1212 MDT
    ...See More
  • The Citrus Guy
    7 months ago

WONDERFUL!

I plan on being there!

Karen, I would LOVE one of the Callicarpa americana seedlings!!! I have been looking to get one and haven't found any yet.

• karen__w z7 NC
    7 months ago

Darren, I'll put one aside for you. These will most likely be bubblegum pink in color for the berries.

• The Citrus Guy
    7 months ago

Thank You, Karen. Bubblegum Pink is just fine.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    7 months ago

I have these plants to share:

‘Pickerel Rush’ water plant

Pink water lily

Elephant ears

Mongolian aster

Ruellia ‘Chi Chi’

Pineapple lily

Spider plants – houseplants

Phlomoides maximowiczii from JCRA seeds

Bearded iris -- color not marked

• tamelask
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Screenwriter- we had a swap that was put on hold last swap because you couldn't come at the last minute because of the bad weather. It was for/with Layla- some mums. "Screenwriter, I have a request from Layla to trade for your 'Luxor' mum. she can't come, but says:

I have a nice looking Jefferson Park, a kind of dinky but rooted Kokka Bunmi, or a rooted but not leafed out yet Daybreak. or hellebore seedlings that are a mix of hybridus and foetidus."

I'll check in with her and see what she has for trading now, if you want. She'll be there for sure, as it's at the garden (but she isn't on here).

I would LOVE to get some pickerel rush! Also very interested in the kalimeris/mongolian aster.

Do you know if you water lily can handle some shade? i lost my texas dawn lily last winter and it was the most shade tolerant and would bloom for me sometimes (my pond is mostly shade). Your 'chi chi' has been happily blooming for me this summer! :)

I haven't gathered up what i'll have to swap yet - let me try and get that done in the next few days.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    7 months ago

Tamelask, I have the white shade iris from the Spring, pickerel rush, and Mongolian aster for you. Do you still have campanula 'Cherry Bells' in your garden? 'Jefferson Park' mum is doing great in the garden from a previous swap. Either/both of the mums would be great for 'Luxor' mum. The water lilies in the shade do not bloom, but they do live; but I don't fertilize them. Do you want one?

Whoever brought the hoya years ago, thanks again as it is very, very happy.

• tamelask
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Screenwriter,

I know Karen brings hoyas sometimes, but i have also brought a more common variety. :)

If the lily won't bloom, i don't see much point, really. I'll try and get texas dawn again. i don't fertilize much, either. once in a great while when i think about it.

I'll let Layla know about the mum swap, thanks! Yes, i still can dig you some cherry bellls.

• brenda_near_eno
    7 months ago

Can wait to see your community garden, Tammie!

tamelask thanked brenda_near_eno
  • Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC
    7 months ago

Thanks Tammy for Hosting .

We will try to be there. I missed the spring swap. I will look around and see what I can get.

Will surely miss Ralph:-(.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    7 months ago

Sabji, I have two hibiscus plants for you.

I also have:

Daylily ‘Baby Moon Café’

Styrax japonica

Lonicera fragrantissima

• tamelask
    Original Author
    7 months ago

oh my goodness, screenwriter! i would love to trade for the styrax! been on my wishlist for a while now.

• karen__w z7 NC
    7 months ago

Is anyone interested in fresh seed from Callicarpa acuminata? It's borderline hardy for me here in Durham, have had it winter over in a pot but lost it in last year's drop to 7 degrees F. I've kept a backup in the greenhouse and that's where these berries are from.

• tamelask
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I'd be interested in trying it, Karen. I'm going to collect some fresh spicebush berries for you while we're in the mountains this week.

• tamelask
    Original Author
    7 months ago

some of the things i can, and/or might bring:

Anubias nana (aquarium plant; very slow growing, i have loads of it)
    Campanula 'Cherry bells'
    Hellebores
    Begonia coccinea

red & yellow columbines
    Abutilons
    Corkscrew ginger
    Oregano
    Thyme
    Malvaviscus drummondii
    Goldenrod, canadian
    Aromatic Aster
    Spicebush berries
    Wingstem (a native yellow composite, tall)

fresh cuttings of orange osmanthus. i'll post more things as i think of them or get them ready.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    7 months ago

Tamasack, the Styrax is for you. Is the Corkscrew ginger hardy and what is the color?

• karen__w z7 NC
    7 months ago

Tammy, thanks for remembering the spicebush berries! I'd also love to get aromatic aster if I can find something else you'd like in exchange. I've been wanting to add more of our native asters to my fall garden.

• tamelask
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Karen- no need for a trade; you've given me so much! I'm sure i'll find something on the tables from you. :)

Screenwriter- barely hardy (need to plant it in spring) but very easy to overwinter in a basement, garage or crawlspace. the bloom is white. I keep my momma in a pot and take cuttings each fall, then plant those in spring (or give them away). I'll get some pix and post. I only have 1 right now to trade, so it's yours if you want it.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    7 months ago

Tamelask, I can overwinter the ginger inside.

• Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC
    7 months ago

Hello Folks, I will not be able to make it to the swap. Unavoidable problem. :-(((((.

I am missing this one too.

Screen writer, I will miss the hibiscus. I love them. Maybe meet you some other time. Will message you.

Will miss meeting the gang!

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)
    7 months ago

Here's a list of plants that we are planning to bring. They are in limited quantities, so we will consider trading for quality plants from our favorite categories (black, Mediterranean, succulents).

hardy garden plants

Aesculus parviflora (white flowers) - large seeds (100% germination)

Quercus nigra - well established volunteer in pot

Cylindropuntia imbricata

Helianthus angustifolius

Hippeastrum - cream colored flowers, hardy

Ligustrum japonicum

Orostachys furusei

Persicaria virginiana

Phytolacca americana

Sedum acre

Solanum pseudocapsicum

Trachelospermum asiaticum

Vinca major 'Variegata'

Vitis rotundifolia

houseplants

Euphorbia tirucalli - species (all green) and 'Firesticks'

Fucraea foetida/gigantea 'Mediopicta/Variegata'

Huernia, black flowers, possibly schneideriana or macrocarpa

Huernia zebrina

Kalanchoe luciae/thrysiflora

Philodendron selloum

Stapelia gigantea

• The Citrus Guy
    7 months ago

@CasaLester RTP, NC (7b), My friend, You are KILLING ME!! LOL

You have MULTIPLE things I would like!

Both Huernias

Vitis rotundifolia

Stapelia gigantea

Euphorbia tirucalli

The only thing I have that you might be interested in is a Echinofossulocactus crispatus (Stenocactus crispatus)

Several rooted Pineapple tops, Ananas comosus

A large Red, Psidium cattleyanum

A small, Vitex agnus-castus

and a pretty good-sized, Billbergia nutans, or Queen's-tears Bromeliad

If nothing else, I will be haunting the table where you place stuff!! LOL

See you all Saturday!!

Darren

• brenda_near_eno
    7 months ago

Is everything general swap this time? have seen no special trades post string

• karen__w z7 NC
    7 months ago

Les, I’m really really interested in the Furcraea and will go look to see what I can tempt you with.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    7 months ago

Brenda, there is a pre-swap.

• karen__w z7 NC
    7 months ago

Brenda, seems that we're relatively unsupervised, mixing special trades into the announcement post and I think I'm probably the one to blame for starting that! But I agree that there's less advance trading and I wasn't going to do much until Les mentioned Furcraea.

Les, things that I wasn't going to get into but will if you want in trade for the Furcraea: rooted Ludisia discolor cutting, pup of a mangave that wasn't labeled when I got it but might be Mission to Mars (not hardy), Ledebouria Gary Hammer (hardy). I could also bring you a rooted cutting of Cestrum 'Orange Peel'.

I've already got potted up and am bringing the following: Callicarpa americana seedlings from pink fruited parents (color is bubblegum pink, has been true from seed), seedlings of Calycanthus floridus and Camellia sinensis, Aesuculus sylvatica, Viburnum propinquum, Tibouchina grandifolia, Scutellaria indica var parviflora 'alba', And I'm bringing seed from Callicarpa acuminata for Tammy and could collect more. FYI for Les, the fruit on acuminata isn't black but it's very dark purple/maroon.

7 months ago

Citrus Guy, definitely interested in Echinofossulocactus crispatus and Vitex agnus-castus. Already have the others, but can still give you your selected package. (Maybe you can allow us a pre-selection of the other stuff you'll bring, if any - we may be interested in plants other than the most favorite groups).

7 months ago

Karen W, our first choice - very difficult, given the exciting options - would be Cestrum 'Orange Peel'. We had Cestrum nocturnum but it is not sufficiently hardy (Z9) and then we also lost it in a container (hoping to replace it one day as potted only) . Very interested in Callicarpa acuminata seeds as well. We already got a Callicarpa volunteer show up in a right spot and are eager to find out what color it will turn out.

7 months ago

Brenda (near Eno), looks like not enough critical mass and initiative for a separate special trades thread, but looks like there is still some interest here. We would like to encourage you to take a look at our list - several interesting natives, Phytolacca and Aesculus are particularly regal shrubs. Even a starter for your own future big oak. (We are taking advantage ourselves of another volunteer - Quercus phellos).

7 months ago

Vlad and Christine are saying hello but they are down with COVID (looks like everyone is getting it these days again) and won't be coming.

• The Citrus Guy
    7 months ago

@CasaLester RTP, NC (7b) Sadly, that is all I have right now to bring.

I wasn't actually asking for all of those things mentioned, just that you were killing me having all of that! LOL

I will keep the Echinofossulocactus crispatus and Vitex agnus-castus set aside for you!

If I were to choose two that I listed of yours it would be the

Vitis rotundifolia and Stapelia gigantea, I might be able to snitch the others in different rounds. LOL

Thanks!

• tamelask
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thanks so much for everyone who came! It was a small but nice group. Lots of great plants! We missed those who couldn't come!

My apologies for losing my temper about "starting early". I did check with John afterwards and he said there is no "2 o'clock rule"; he just always waited for some that he knew for sure were coming, and it happened to often be close to 2 when that usually panned out. He has started early before when everyone was ready and there. So... in the future - aim to come more like 1 or 1:30 and we'll get going that much quicker. ;)

We may keep hosting at that location (it's free!), with John's leadership when he can. There's a little room for people who can't walk much to pull in and unload as long as they park out of the way as soon as they've unloaded. That got a little confusing today; sorry about that!

• karen__w z7 NC
    7 months ago

Tammy, my dad and I had a great time. Thank you so much for putting the swap together this fall. I was glad to see the community gardens, very impressive especially knowing how you and your colleagues had to move the whole garden to the new site several years ago. And my dad is now rethinking his garden after seeing yours this afternoon.

• tamelask
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Karen- that's so sweet of you to say! I'm so glad your dad got some ideas! I'd love to see pictures of his.

Yeah, we were homeless for 2 years, til we worked everything out with leasing from the town. We scattered to members homes for those 2 years. We've been at the site for just a bit over a year now - it was a green field before; cardboard and mulching the field took most of 5 or 6 months alone. I look around and see how much we have to do still, but hopefully others see our progress. ;) I think by next year it'll look SO much better!

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    7 months ago

Thanks, Tammy, for putting the swap together. If you need plants for your Community garden, please let me know. I didn't know you were working on this project.

• tamelask
    Original Author
    7 months ago

That's amazing, Val, thank you so much! Actually more than half of what i got was for the garden, not me. :) My yard is pretty full! LOL... The garden is 13 years old, and this our 3rd location, (and hopefully our last - moving stinks!). We are incorporating lots of lesson learned into it, and hopefully it'll be incredible once fully up & running.

BTW, i sent you a PM... not sure if it notified you.

• sandlapper_rose
    2 months ago

Oh my, I don't know how I missed checking to see if there was a Fall 2023 event. Loved the ones I attended in the past. Darren, my tangerine tree that I got from you is still going strong. I'll keep watching to see if we plan on Spring 2024.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES