SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_265367983

What lady beetle species is this?? I need help!

Jalisco Pine
8 months ago

Photo 1: My only option for containment for this specimen was a Slimy Gloop putty case.

I found this little guy on a common milkweed plant in my neighbor's yard, who was eating on the milkweed. I later captured it and peacefully froze it. I live in central Minnesota, USA, and have found no species that have matched up with it online. This lady beetle was the only lady beetle like this on the plant, many being Asian lady beetles or other related or non-related species/subspecies. I let the specimen sit in the freezer for about a week, then removed it, and thawed it for this post today. As a person interested in ornithology and botany, I have limited knowledge of insects, besides hornets, wasps, and mostly bumblebees. Here's its description using a ruler... (it may not be exactly accurate, since it is rounded up for some data).

General description:

0.5 cm or 0.2-3 in long, 0.2 cm or 0.07-0.10 in wide, 7 black spots, tan-ish center, with light to medium orange sides, and a head mix of white and black markings (not describable in words, the same for most lady beetles, but rather photos may show the markings in a good format).

Photo 2: Side view for better details. The markings make it look like a cat almost...

Does anybody know what species it could be?

Thanks!! :)

Jalisco Pine

Comments (5)

Sponsored