SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly

Which salvia do I have?

Rosefolly
9 months ago

Some years ago I decided to experiment with garden salvias. These are not natives, which I also grow in a different area.

I ordered four cultivars of Salvia nemerosa, 'Carradonna' (deep purple), 'Rose Queen' (pink) and two blues, 'Blue Hill' and 'Lubeca'. The Carradonna is a clear winner here. The color is gorgeous, it self seeds and comes up true, and it remains upright until the blooms turn brown, at which time I cut it back hard and it repeats. I grow it to this day.

'Rose Queen' was a disappointment. Pretty at first, it quickly squashed flat and splayed out all over the place, very unattractive. I removed them all the first year.

Now for the two blues. One of them followed the same growth pattern as 'Rose Queen', and I removed it. The other one behaves the same way 'Carradonna' does, and it too is still in my garden, reproducing enough to maintain itself and never become a pest.

The problem? I lost the tags years ago. I don't know which one I have, 'Lubeca' or 'Blue Hill'.

I like to know the names of my plants. Does anyone know enough about Salvia nemerosa crosses to tell me which one I likely have?

Comments (3)