SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doriswk

My canna lilies are super healthy looking but not flowering

doriswk
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

Why are they not blooming? I am in zone 5, near Toronto. They had lovely flowers last year. This year I received new rhizomes from 2 different sources. I planted them end May, same South facing location as last year, in commercial potting mix, and added some compost, same as last year. It is now end July, the plants are taller than last year (one is same variety) with very healthy looking leaves, but there are still no flowers. Other cannas in my neighbourhood have been flowering for a while. About a week ago I started giving them fertilizer with a high phosphate ratio ( middle number). What might be the cause, and what can I do to promote flowers?

The first picture shows 2 pots of my cannas this year on July 30th. No flowers and nothing that looks like it might be budding. Except for the Japanese beetle damage you can see very healthy and tall leaves in both pots, the left pot with two different varieties of cannas . The second picture is from last year mid August, shorter leaves but many flowers. No way will my cannas this year have flowers in two weeks from now. Is it possible that the potting soil I used this year could have this effect ? I asked a friend who has planted hers the same week-end I did, hers already have flowers...
I do not know the variety, these cannas were given to me by two different people.

To HU-655581242: Well, I can understand the theory that I somehow ended up with the two different varieties ( green and purple leaved) that both take a long time to bloom ( they obviously do...). I don't mind waiting longer, I just suspect they won't bloom at all...

To FrozeBudd_z3/4: I tried to overwinter my beauties from last year, unfortunately I kept them in a carton with newspaper etc, in the cold room; all canna bulbs were all moldy in spring. So I got new cannas this year. Last year I had given some of my canna bulbs to a friend. I will try to get some back from her this fall.

Comments (10)