SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_309620285

Let's talk about the 'Myrrh' scent of David Austin Roses

HU-309620285
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Something that has bothered me for the past 60 years - so it is about time I got it off my chest, don't you think? The scent of Myrrh has woven itself into the fragrance profiles of many perfumed roses, particularly David Austin's English Roses (launched in 1961), and no-one appears to have questioned the notes of this bitter fragrance of a bygone epoch and the way it is banded about when describing the scents emanating from English Roses of modern times. These are notes from a narrative I attached to a photo of 'The Generous Gardener' in my Flickr profile, Mike Hayward (garden_party on there).

"Rosa 'The Generous Gardener', climbing rose from David Austin, released 2002. (Parentage: 'Constance Spry' ? x unknown ?)

"Named to mark the 75th anniversary of the National Gardens Scheme, which made it possible for us to see so many beautiful private gardens, thanks to the generosity of their owners."
(DA Catalogue)

Arguably the most feminine of blooms in the DA collection, the softest blush pink, and a touch of apricot in its heart. On opening the lovely kiss of colour fades quickly to white, and then, after a couple of days, one more if you are lucky, the dainty delicacy shatters to the ground. But still the praise for this exasperating rose continues to proclaim TGG as the "finest climber" in the DA range. I love the flower, and the scent is wonderful, but the collapse of the flower when poised at its best, is a chagrin to say the least.

Ah, that scent. "Strong Old Rose, with Musk & Myrrh". OK - a reality check. How many of us have had the privilege of inhaling the scent of "true Myrrh", one of the gifts of the 3 Magi offered at the birth of Christ. Unless you have spent your life's savings in the perfume halls of Harrods or Fortnums in the UK say, or been able to smell the real resin burning in the market souks of Yemen, the Horn of Africa, or Southern Arabia (the Dhofar region of Oman, Salalah specifically,
which I have visited a couple of times during my travel days when I attempted to retrace the romantic Old Frankincense Trail of classical times) >> the scent of smouldering Myrrh extracted from the bush Commiphora Myrrha is bitter, astringent, antiseptic, deep, lingering and quite singular. It has been described as sharp, spicy, fungal, smoky, faintly balsamic with a latex-like quality and elements of black licorice and mushroom. In fact not unlike the walls of a very old church!! Frankincense by comparison, though exuding a similar resin & medicinal profile, emits a sweeter note altogether.

When David Austin revealed his beautiful Constance Spry to the World in 1961, the clever marketing team went into overdrive and gave its superb fragrance the "Myrrh" tag - but this turned out to be the aniseed aroma offered by Sweet Cicely, or Myrrhis Odorata, which is grown around hedgerows of northern UK, and I've always felt that there is a rounded vanilla component to Constance, plus a fruity note or two when I draw in deeply the rose every day during her flowering period, sumptuous as she is. In short, David Austin's "Myrrh" is not the romanticised resin of the Biblical 3 Kings, nor of the embalming Egyptians, but of a fragrant herb found around the ditches, edges of fields and byways, in part shade, of our Islands. Nothing wrong with that of course. More on Sweet Cicely ID here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFoPnMOyONQ&t=28s

"Musk", the aromatic perfume of a gland of a certain deer, I'll have nothing to do with (as a veggie for as long as I can remember), and if I want to sample something with a similar profile to the real McCoy, then I can look to Rosa Moschata species and cultivars, and Paul's Himalayan Musk Rambler which romps away through a large cherry tree in my front garden."

• My Ideas
  • More Ideas

Add New

The Generous Gardener, David Austin 2002, Scent Profile: Old Rose with Musk & Myrrh

Comments (25)