SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canishel

How to grow moringa

canishel
last year

I was given a small moringa seedling in a 3 inch pot. Transplanted it to 6 inch pot. It is about a foot tall. Growing indoors next to a window and under grow light. What should I do next?

Zone 7 East Tennessee.

I intend to put the pot outside in warm weather and bring inside in cold weather.

One post on Gardenweb said they grew it in a 32 gallon trash can so that it could be moved indoors in cold weather. Presumably the author drilled drainage holes in the trash can.

At what height should I transplant my seedling? Transplant into what size pot? Final 32 gallon, or a series of increasing pot sizes?

At what night temperature should I bring it indoors? At what night temperature to take outdoors?

When indoors, do I keep it at room temperature (~68 deg F) or keep it in an unheated sunless garage?

Since it’s deciduous, do light and temperature matter in winter?

If this seedling actually grows, can it be pruned to ~6 feet to fit in the house and still bear fruit when taken back outside?

Will one moringa plant produce drumsticks? Or does it need a “cousin” (my term for same species grown from another source), like pawpaws.

Don’t know what else to ask, but any advice is appreciated.

TIA.

Comment