SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zen_man

It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 57

zen_man
last year
last modified: last year

Hello everyone,

Welcome to this ongoing series of message threads about the zinnia hobby. The previous part of this continuing series, It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 56 has exceeded 100 messages, which could make that thread slow to load, even though photos now appear in the Houzz messages as only inline large thumbnails (that can be clicked on to see larger versions), so we are continuing the series here for yet another fresh start. The same guidelines apply here. Anything remotely related to zinnias is fine. (Or plant breeding in general, or feral cats or precocious cats or locusts or pet snails or chupacabras or book comments or whatever.)

I have been continuing my zinnia hobby by growing zinnias indoors this Winter. Zinnias are not houseplants, so growing them indoors does present various problems. I will discuss some of those problems in subsequent messages here. This is a photo of one of my indoor zinnia seedlings.

I make crosses between my favorite indoor specimens and I save green seeds from those crosses and I plant those green seeds indoors for a second indoor generation. So I can get two generations of zinnias indoors in addition to two outdoor generations, for a total of four generations per year. That isn't quite as fast as fruit fly breeding, but it is pretty fast for plant breeding.

I am still learning about the challenges of growing zinnias indoors, and that is part of the fun of doing this. There are some advantages to growing zinnias indoors. I can sit in a comfortable rolling chair while doing cross-pollinations. And the timers on my lights let me control the photoperiod of my zinnias. I welcome your participation in this message thread.

ZM

Comments (129)