SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doriswk

Why is squash cracked ? Qu about cross -breeding?

doriswk
last year
last modified: last year

I noticed a crack on what looked like a very fast growing close to 4 pound butternut squash . After a heat & dry spell it has been raining for two days...,I also noticed sudden cracks in some tomatoes... would the extra water have caused it ?

I harvested it so it won't spoil. Raw it tasted somewhat like zucchini, so I made a zucchini leek soup.

Another related question: I have planted 3 types of seeds from different squash groups, as I had read that this will prevent them from cross pollinating. : Acorn (C. pepo), Butternut (C. moschata), and Buttercup (C. maxima). First the buttercups showed up, looking like normal buttercups. Soon after some normal looking acorns. Then we struggled with an enormous amount of cucumber and Japanese beetles and our world went a little crazy with lots of destroyed blossoms, dying leaves, and some strange squashes showing up that we have no ID for. Can't go by color for judging harvest time.

I was sorry that I did not see any butternut squashes, until almost all squash plants started producing babies in the shape ( but not color) of butternuts, no matter what type of squash it had already produced.

Another experience teaching me not to believe everything I read ... But hey, after all the issues we are happy that there is some sort of squash growing.

Would it be that the male flower dictates the type of squash the plant grows? Just want to understand this...

Zone 5, Toronto

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting