SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
getgoing100_7b_nj

Help save my Camellia

I got it last fall - it was potted in some sort of soil bark mix. Iinitially, I uppotted it to a very slightly larger pot using some regular potting mix and perlite mixed in with the orignial mix that I could easily shake off the roots. It was growing great (indoors for the winter) and even set some buds late winter spring. I moved it outdoors in spring. Later I uppotted to a gallon container from 6 inch and then potted it up in a two gallon container (about 2/3 months back) using Bark/peat/perlite mix (5/1/1). I did not add any garden lime. For the past several weeks it had been losing leaves. First, the leaves at the tips browned and fell. I presumed it might be too much run in its new location (which only gets a couple of hours of sun in late morning and evening). But the leaves continue to fall. After the initial few leaves that browned before falling, the rest of the leaves and then the flower and growth buds simply fell off. It currently has a single leaf and 2/3 flower/growth buds left. A couple of days back I unpotted to check the roots. They still appeared good so I down potted to a 6 inch pot (the extra roots that had grown into the extended media broke during unpotting. The mix was fairly damp throughout but considering the chunky 5/1/1 mix, I don't think there was any over or underwatering issue. today I unpotted and shook off most of the potting mix and hosed off the roots a few times. The roots still appear good (white for newer ones, though a bit too translucent and reddish tinged for older finer ones). By now I was suspecting something was wrong with the growing media. I checked the pH of the damp/wet bark mix that was most intimately in contact with the majority of the roots by pressing the mix against pH paper. Surprisingly/ unfortunately, the pH paper turned red where the media made indents into the pH paper. A slurry of the mix doesn't turn the paper red but the damp mix does. So, I am presuming not adding any garden lime combined with keeping the media damp all the time led to the bark degradaing and turning acidic and the plant reacted to the hostile situation by dropping leaves. Currently the wet root mass is sitting in a watering can. I am afraid to put in a bark medium again. What is the safest way to pot the poor thing up and not lose it? I didn't think omitting lime would be so dangerous for an acid loving plant. I have a couple of more camellias, and a hydragea potted up similarly in 5/1/1 sans lime......Pictures in next post.

Comments (3)