SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heruga

Disease spreading all over my garden, I think its time to give up

Heruga (7a Northern NJ)
last year
last modified: last year

Next after next I am discovering more and more plants having random wilting and death on certain stems and sometimes eventually the whole plant. I've been removing many affected plants carefully(specific shoes and gloves dedicated for removal, a sheet to step on, a bucket just to dump diseased plants in, soaking shovel in bleach water) for the past couple weeks and then more just keeps showing up. Whether it's phytophthora, bacterial wilt, fusarium wilt it doesn't matter. The results will be the same, the plants will eventually die and will spread to others. It doesn't seem to be host specific, it attacks any plant that it can get to. Even in areas where drainage is a non-issue and the soil is very well draining the disease gets to it. I don't think wet soggy conditions have to be met for the disease to occur, it will attack any plant indiscriminately. Yes there were some puddling areas but I fixed those recently but it won't matter if the disease just attacks everything and anywhere regardless! I honestly can't take this level of stress anymore and it feels like my long awaited dream is being shattered by so many obstacles in the garden that keep occurring next after next. Not just diseases. This is an absolute dead end with no solution.

It really pains me to think this as a plant lover and after having propagated many plants on my own but I am starting to consider moving out of my home and go back to apartment life where I don't have to worry about the outside every single day. I will try to enjoy the plants that are flourishing now at least but that's only until they all die

Comments (43)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor