SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lili_sahm

stimulating side branch growth in rubber plant

lili sahm
last year
last modified: last year

last year I was gifted a varigated rubber plant.it seemed to be a previously prunned plant and all the growth I had was actually on a side branch while I liked it to have an up right,straight trunk but anyway.after a short while it's lower leaves started to turn brown from the sides and drop.when it lost some of it's lower leaves I was paniced that I might lose it so I chopped it to propogate and left just three leaves on the main plant. unfortunately none of the propagations made it (one is still alive and has lots of roots but no new growth yet after 10 months!). the leaves on the main plant kept turning brown and I didn't think it's going to survive but I repotted it and applied fungiside to it's soil and it amazed me by surviving. no brown leaves anymore and it started to grow a new branch and produced new leaves which gradually got bigger. I love this plant because it's a surviver and it's a very fast grower. but it doesn't look really nice because it's stem has angels due to being prunned and branched twice. I decided to wait until late spring, then try to grow some arial roots on the branch which has leaves and after seeing enough roots, chop the branch and pot it seprately to have a plant with straight trunk.But then I discovered there's a tiny bud on the other side of the prunned stem. it's as if it wants to grow a second branch! if the second branch grows I might not grow arial roots from the leafy branch. I will wait until the second branch grows a bit and then decide what to do. but I'm worried the bud would never grow to a real second branch. it's been a few months and I see no growth.Is there a way to stimulate the bud(second branch) to grow? right now my rubber plant sits 20 centimeters away from a southern window which has mattifier on it's glass. I feel it likes it's place because it grows huge leaves so rapidly. unfortunately I can't move it to outside because I have no yard. just a little southern balcony which I guess has a very harsh light(I live in a hot and dry climate). I have just a Yucca, a Madagascar palm and some Cactus in my balcony and they seem to like it but a varigated rubber plant might be different.I don't know what type of fertilizer is good to stimulate the bud of second branch to grow without losing the leaves varigation(I mean a high N, or P, or K? or a balanced one?). I asked a plant seller and he said I have to water the soil with a liquid cytokine they sell but I'm not sure it helps. I appreciate any suggestions.
BTW I wanted to add pictures but I don't know how. I'm new to this website and I can't see any option here to add pictures so I add them in comment section

Comments (21)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio