Houzz Logo Print
circuspeanutgw

Query for botanists re. fragant sumac/gro-low, male & female, berries

Circus Peanut
last year

Hi folks!

Coastal Maine, Zone:5A

Full Sun area

Question for any shrub experts or knowledgeable botanists! I've got about 8 rhus aromatica 'Gro-Low' fragrant sumac shrubs forming a short wide hedge across the front of my yard, trailing over a rock wall onto the city sidewalk. They've performed beautifully over 5 years, spread nicely over a foot per year, the fall color is usually spectacular, and I and all my local species of bees just love them.

However, they have never once set on the red sumac berries I (and my local bird population) was hoping for.

These shrubs are usually listed as dioecious and most write-ups of Gro-Low highlight the berries as a feature. I purchased mine from three different nurseries and assumed I'd get both male/female versions, yet mine all appear to be female. A lot of googling later I have tentatively determined that the rhus aromatica 'Gro-Low' propagated and sold in nurseries are all female clones.

So: to get the berries on my Gro-Low, apparently I need a regular male rhus aromatica? I saw one random blog commenter say this had indeed worked for him, but would love more input.

Presuming I can find a male or sweet-talk a local nursery into ordering one for me, I then have a follow-up question: the species are a much larger shrub, so placement will be a bit tricky. How close (in terms of feet, say) do I need to plant it to my Gro-Low in order to ensure pollination?

Thank you to all for any insights you might have. (Information is surprisingly sparse on this topic compared to the pollination data for berry bushes like holly, inkberries, etc.)

Comments (3)

• Marie Tulin
    last year

I'll confirm your experience. I have about 6 or 7 low grow and have never seen a berry and don't remember ever being promised any. They were advertised as a tough undemanding groundcover with great fall color. So mine are as advertised.

As you may know the wild roadside sumacs berry up (stalks of fuzzy red seeds )/ I have a sumac that was touted as more garden less roadside worthy that was also supposed to have good seed heads and great color. I couldn't find a place for it and it has languished in shade neither berrying or coloring up. I should put it out of its misery.

Circus Peanut thanked Marie Tulin
  • arbordave (SE MI)
    last year
    last modified: last year

I know I've seen berries on Gro-Low, but I haven't paid enough attention to be able to say how often and in what circumstances I've observed them. So I'm just guessing, but perhaps male flowers can develop on Gro-Low (along with female flowers) in some years due to specific environmental triggers(?) Or it could be due to the fact that there were other male species plants in the area.

One nursery's website claims that "Gro-Low has both male and female flowers".

Circus Peanut thanked arbordave (SE MI)
  • Circus Peanut
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you both! I checked in with our local native nursery today, where I bought some of my plants, and they don't know where to even order a species plant for me. All they carry in fragrant sumac are the Lo-Grow and the Lacette variants. Both of which may be female clones. So hmmm.

The berries are definitely an aspect of this sumac that's advertised, in fact here's a page from one of the other local nurseries where I purchased more of them a few years ago -- even the photo has the berries! Arghh.

https://www.estabrooksonline.com/plants/nursery/plant.asp?id=rhus_grolow

I will continue to research this and welcome any more input from those who know more than I!