SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barplants123

shouldn't pollinator bee houses have tube openings on both sides?

bought my first bee house for mason and leaf cutters, didn't know it's basically just for them to lay eggs in, I guess they sleep/hide in there too though during the summer.

I read some babies that hatch in the tubes might not make it out, I'm thinking from being blocked by clay etc debris from cocoons ahead of it, so as long as it's protected from wind rain etc, wouldn't it be better to have both ends of the house to avoid this?

I plan on building a while bunch of custom pollinator houses and putting some in the woods and others in garden peoples' yards. I know taking it inside for winter would have the best results but I think most of these are going to just stay outside over winter and hope for the best.

Instead of spending on reed tubes I'm just going to screw blocks of scrap 2x4 non treated pine quadrupled up to get about 6" depth and then a scrap plywood roof and scrap asphalt shingles, and painted side walls that extend out a good few inches past the front opening to stop wind/rain. Also leaving some kitty litter near each one they can mix w other dirt and make the clay as they prefer to.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions