SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bananastand

I am bitter about this heat. (Zone 5a, WI)

bananastand
last year

My daffodils and tulips were just in bud last weekend before this dreadful heat wave hit the Midwest. It's been over 90 degrees pretty much all week, shattering past records. As I look outside my window today, with a predicted high of 80, I can see that the daffodils, tulips, umbrella flower and azalea have all literally wilted in place. Our spring didn't even last a single day. I have worked in environmental education and conservation for many years, and I find myself mostly bitter about how little people truly seem to care about climate change, and I will just quite honestly put myself in that same category. I tried not turning on my A/C for a day, but I also had the unfortunate luck to pick up a nasty spring cold with a fever right about the same time this started (multiple tests, yes it was just a cold). So on day two, I gave in and turned on my A/C. I thought about the privilege that allows me to do that, and wondered how soon the day will come that brown-outs are as common in the Midwest as they are in other, hotter parts of the US. Sorry to be a downer, but man-- I look so forward to spring, and having it truly feel robbed this year has hit me kind of hard.

Comments (10)