SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samnsarah

Die Back on Oakleaf Hydrangeas

Tim
2 years ago

Attached are a couple of photos of a branch I pruned from a Ruby Slippers Oakleaf Hydrangea. We had a prolonged three-month drought from January thru March. Many of the branches on these shrubs had leaf shoots on them in March that would have pushed out new leaves, but instead died. Many of the branches that had die back in them still have new healthy leaves growing, so it doesn't appear to be a disease. All of my Ruby Slippers and Snow Queen Oakleaf Hydrangeas had this happen to them. I also had a Limelight Hydrangea with some dieback, although to a lesser degree. My Diablo Ninebark, located in a different area of my yard, had A LOT of die back. My Chinese Pistache tree, Rosy Glow barberries, Summer Wine Ninebarks, and Gold Mound Spireas were not affected. So do you think it is a result of that drought or something else.

The dead branch is in the foreground, and you can see the new leaf shoots that are now dead. Every branch was this way.

Here is a pic of the cut stem of the same branch. As you can see, it's dead as a mackerel.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths