SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smalloldhouse_gw

Landscaping front yard with giant water oak tree

smalloldhouse_gw
2 years ago

We renovated and added on last year and now desperately need to start rehabbing the landscaping. We're not up for another massive project right now, so the plan is to resod the yard and then work on plantings over time. My dilemma at the moment is how to handle the front yard, where we have a ridiculously large water oak tree. Someday I may remove it, but family loves it and for now it stays. Photo below shows it in all its glory last summer before the arborists did an every-other-year pruning.

We're in Zone 7A, a mile or two north of Washington DC, and the tree canopy is high enough that the yard still gets full sun year round.

I'd be so grateful for any help on two dilemmas:

1) There's no point in putting sod immediately under the tree. What else might grow there?

2) We will install new sod to the left of the front walk and install a bunch of schip laurels to screen from the house on the other side (its driveway abuts our yard and it's used an AirBnB with too many cars.) But I want the front landscaping to look coherent - should I install a planting bed or some low shrubs along the whole front? I'm cognizant of the fact that I had far too much shrubbery before the reno, as you can see the 'before' photo below!

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations