SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayhome2000

What orchid can I plant in the ground outside? NorCal zone 9b

T Y
2 years ago

Relatively inexperienced on orchid growing....

I am looking for some suggestions to select maybe 3-5 orchids to grown in the ground of a courtyard space, which is mostly under bright shade (shade from the house structure and nearby trees) and gets probably 1-2 hours afternoon sun everyday.

My orchid experience level:

I grow phalaenopsis indoor, had multiple attempts on and off in the past 10 years. This year, I finally got my very FIRST flower stalk! Also, in the past (many years ago, in a different house), I had put one cymbidium outdoor in the ground under shade, just left it outside without much attention, surprisingly Cymbidium seemed to live fine.... That experience gave me some confidence that Orchid is probably not as difficult to grow as I had thought....

For my couryard project, I assume cymbidium can be one option, based on my past experience. How about other types or it is better to stick with cymbidium for outside in zone 9b?

I am very happy to find the Orchid forum on Houzz. Great to be around with the experts! Is there a local specialty orchid nursery close to SF bay area?

Comments (7)