SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minaloyitaly

What do you grow alongside your scarlet / red / crimson roses?

MinaLoy
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'm here looking for inspiration!

I'm planning a new border underneath a red climbing rose, Paul's Scarlet climber (quite a pinky red here) and thinking about planting combinations. Can anyone share (even better if you have photos) what you plant alongside red roses? I'm interested both in roses in other shades and favourite companion plants.

Our garden is a mediterranean one with cottagey-style planting and our other roses are OGRs or Austins in softer tones, with lots of salvias, lavenders, guara etc. But I 'd love to see any combinations, whether gentle or bold.

Attached is a photo of PSC, in case anyone doesn't know it.

Comments (61)

• MinaLoy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh you are reminding me why I love MW so much, it's definitely my favourite Austin. Does it burn in the summer? The advantage of my potted one was that it could be moved out of the afternoon sun in summer, but I'd love to have one in the ground.

• MinaLoy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I love the form of the Jupiter's Beard as well as the colour (especially in that top photo). Definitely going on my list. Thank you!

• Related Discussions

Do you grow Potentilla with your roses?

Q

Comments (4)
    I have to agree with the statements above. I grew a row of them when I first started gardening. Our combination of clay soil and hot/humid summers did not agree with them for long. After about 3 years or so they looked so pathetic that I dug them up. I grew Potentilla Fruticosa with yellow flowers (don't remember the varieties name now). The first two years they looked very nice and flowered well, so I tried them in a different location over at my mother's house thinking the results would be different. Same thing happened after about the 3rd year. If you notice most of the Potentillas have zone 7 listed as their southern limits. Unlike their rose relatives, they really don't take to heat/humidity all that well....Maryl
    ...See More

What's Your Favorite Red Rose?

Q

Comments (82)
    My personal favorite is The Squire. In my humble opinion, Oklahoma is better than Mr. Lincoln. The flowers are darker red, more refined, and smell stronger. There are huge healthy ten foot bushes of it around Santa Cruz. I've grown Papa Meilland budded and own root, presently I have a virus indexed own root plant from Vintage Gardens. In all these years and different permutations, it has grown in small zig-zags, and the flower color has been more magenta red than blackish crimson. I keep hoping it will improve and look like the pictures of Papa Meilland, but it won't perform unless coddled and given high culture. I've given up this year and ordered Charles Mallerin instead to replace Papa Meilland. Depending on your needs, these red roses are worthy of your attention: Black Baccara Oklahoma Royal Canadian Crimson Bouquet Lavaglut Sympathie Linda Campbell Black Jade Climbing Altissimo Doorenbos Selection (Camara is one of my favorites, but its coloring is vermilion with tips blushing black -- not a true red)
    ...See More

What roses do you grow that you "shouldn't" be able to?

Q

Comments (31)
    Virginia - in answer to your questions, I've enabled all my neighbors on each side of me and behind to try roses, and convinced them that roses aren't that hard to grow. For the most part, I did this with the more reliable shrub roses, since one neighbor in particular had been convinced that roses had to be obsessively sprayed and fussed over all summer. The ease of shrub roses have convinced them that roses can be easy care plants. For Francis Dubreuil, most folks recommend this one for part shade locations regardless of zone to maintain the deep colors and the purple tones. Mine is in part shade and it doesn't seem to affect the winter hardiness. As for Ingrid Bergman, I love the dark red of this one but I'm on 2 or 3 tries to overwinter this one, and I think it's going to be one of those "cold wimps" that are truly zone 7 rather than only reported as such. Cynthia
    ...See More

Bush/shrub growing alongside road bright big red berries now

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks, Jane. The winterberry may well be another of those native plants that would much rather have a nice, moist environment but will make do with whatever it can get so long as it's not too dry. Mine was probably a volunteer from the wild that my mother left in place many years ago. I suspect there is some underground water there; possibly originally from the house next door which is higher, but now there's a septic leach field nearby to please anything with deep roots. I have three, maybe four seedlings that appeared in beds I keep moderately watered and I'm hoping that at least one of these will be a male for a pollinator. I have no idea where the current male is and I'm afraid the bees have a long journey between them. Claire Here is a link that might be useful: Ilex verticillata at hortuconn
    ...See More
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    2 years ago

This is when I really miss my pics.😥

MinaLoy thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 years ago

@dianela7analabama Gosh, you have a gift for gardening, that's for sure. Your photos are just incredible.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    2 years ago

Wow! Your garden is impressive, Dianela. Thank you for sharing it.

About what goes with red- The biggest problem I have with red is that it tends to disappear in the shadows. White shows up red when planted side by side but to me, it can look stark. A sort of creamy apricot and pastel violet blue can make reds pop and soften their appearance at the same time. These three colors together in the garden are especially pretty in the evening.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    2 years ago

I think yellows or bluish purples are pretty with scarlet. I'd do russian sage, catmint, lavender, yellow yarrow, goldenrod, maybe rudbeckia or sunflowers as well.

MinaLoy thanked Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Dianela, I think that your garden is just breathtaking as it is. Very pleasing to the eye.

• bart bart
    2 years ago

@Diane Brakefield As always, I LOVE your plant combos, Diane! I Googled both Dara and Orlaya; are these the same things as the wild flowers Queen Anne's Lace and Bishop's Weed,or are these less "weedy" relatives? because I love both of them,and would like to track down seeds,if possible.

• MinaLoy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I am swooning at your photos, @Diane Brakefield. I bet it smells incredible when they're all blooming.

I also love your ideas of violet blues @AaAaron and @Kes... geranium, nepeta, scabiosa, lavender. And you are so right about the creamy apricot Kes. I forgot used to have Munstead Wood in a pot next to Sharifah Asma (which was never very pink for me, more like peach) and they looked stunning together. You have got me thinking about creamy apricot/pale yellow microphyllia salvias.

I've been thinking about layered red a lot since starting this thred and now I'm wondering whether a munsted wood and a dwarf pomegranate (red fruit obviously, but also tiny 'pops' of orange flowers) could go somewhere in the vicinity of Paul's scarlet if softened by violets and creams...

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Thanks, Bart. Dara is the wild purple carrot. I find it quite manageable and the same for orlaya, which is not of the Queen Anne's Lace group. It's just orlaya. I gather seed from both of these plants. I purchased my Dara seed, and Lisa sent me some of her orlaya seed. She's grown it for years in California, and uses it to great effect in bouquets. There are a number of seed sellers here in the US who sell Dara and orlaya. But I have no idea about Italy, of course. Select Seeds and Hazzards Seeds sell these seeds and there are other sellers.

Mina, thank you and good luck layering. Diane

• MinaLoy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@bart bart I bought some "Dara" seeds just last week online from Bloomling so they're definitely availble here.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Oh, good. You'll love Dara--just sow the seeds directly.

Here is some lavender along side an Ascot rose. And then there's the snowball. The rose has gotten so large since this photo that the snowball bush, which has also gotten enormous, grow next to each other. The poor lavender had to be removed, but another is a little farther away. I grow lots of lavender. Our climate is quite Mediterranean in some aspects. No rain for months in summer and hot and very dry. No fungal diseases. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

our dry hills out back

• MinaLoy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That's quite some view, but also quite some contrast with your lush garden! And everything you grow is enormous!

I love that huge lavender. I stick it everywere as it grows so reliiably here, paired with rose it's a hard to beat, I think.

• bart bart
    2 years ago

Thanks for the tip, MinaLoy. I never heard of Bloomling before-looks very interesting!

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    2 years ago

I have a bed of reds and have pure white (drift rose), limelight hydrangea, and some dwarf globe arborvitae (also lime colored).

i really like the bright green and white contrast against the much darker red roses and their foliage.

MinaLoy thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • MinaLoy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, I agree that balance of dark and light looks good. I don't know that hydrangea but the photos on google are stunning.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

I love the dark and light combination. Pale pink, almost white Sarah Bernhardt peonies look wonderful in contrast to dark Munstead Wood. Too bad this is for a short time only since peonies don't last long here. Diane

MinaLoy thanked Diane Brakefield
  • MinaLoy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That might be the perfect combination! I absolutely adore SB peonies. But they don't last here either and my garden is small so space is too precious for things that don't bloom for a decent period.

By the way, your photos have convinced me to get Munstead Wood again, DA should pay you commission. ;)

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Thanks, Mina. I understand about the lack of space, but I do have some peonies. I just have to have them. Some have said Tantau should pay me a commission, too. Last year it was Rouge Royale (Meilland). I think these companies should pay all the Rose Forum members commissions. Diane

2 years ago

Yes dear Diane, I have a Rouge Royal coming because of your stellar reviews and pictures

Seeing the deep red with white makes me excited for the RR and a white clematis combination

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Kristine, I'm sure your white clematis/RR combination will look better than my poor rose leaning out over the slope. But this February I'm going to transplant that poor thing, and I hope I don't kill RR in the process (or myself). Which clematis will you be getting? Can't wait to see your photos. Diane

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    2 years ago

Wow. Diane and Daniela, you gals have some impressive roses. Glad to see how you are combining Mustead Wood, Darcey Bussell and Benjamin Britten since I have these three roses coming this spring.

Diane, I started some Jupiters Beard seeds. Hope they do well here in humidity central.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Mas, I'm sure your Jupiter's Beard will germinate well and grow. Too well, probably. In year round warm climates like parts of California, it can become invasive. I've said that in zone 7 it's fine, but much warmer than that, and Jup needs to be watched closely. Thanks and I know you'll love Munstead Wood. Diane

• dianela7analabama
    2 years ago

Thank you Mischievous magpie, Kes, Kristine and Maslovesroses. Growing roses and working and working in the garden has really made me a happier person.

Diane I love all your combinations! Those dry hills behind your house are simply breathtaking also, what a beautiful landscape. I wish you were my neighbor so I can walk by your house every day and look at your gorgeous roses. Your lavender looks amazing, I have tried it here but I guess our soil just gets too wet and doesn't drain enough.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Thank you, Dianela, and needless to say, I love your combinations so much, and am amazed at what you've accomplished in so short a time period. How do you do it, given your demanding profession and being a new mom? I hope you family is doing well, and you are enjoying your professional work. Do you now live at the lake? I'm a little mixed up. And what is your garden like there? You wouldn't want to walk through my garden now in the depth of January. It's quite ugly. Our pretty snow, if we have any, is never very deep and disappears so fast, leaving behind icy spots and mud. Diane

• dianela7analabama
    2 years ago

Diane we have been dividing out time between the two properties (they are only a couple of miles apart so that makes it easier). Last year my husband did all the pruning and fertilized my roses at the beginning of the season and that is all the care they got. The good thing is that it let me see what plants did well even with extreme neglect. My garden looks terrible this time a year also, but that is part of what makes spring so gorgeous. With everything being so crazy right now our plans to move permanently and sell this house have been delayed so at least for a while longer I'll have this garden to work on. I am having the opportunity to work part time right now and I feel very blessed to stay home with the baby the rest of the time. I am really enjoying my new job tho I have to admit it is a lot tougher than I ever expected. I don't have much time to garden these days so last weekend my parents came to visit and I used the chance to start pruning my roses. Normally I wouldn't do this until late February, but I won't be able to prune them all unless I start now little by little. I feel like most of my roses are completely cane hardy here so they should be alright.

this is what my front bed looked like before I started pruning. I pruned everything in this bed down to maybe 1-2 feet tall. I also dug up my Faun/fawn roses and potted them to move them. 8 beds to go.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Dead stuff in my garden. i see some rose is hanging on at the bottom. This was in late fall. Diane

2 years ago

Dianela, boy, do you have alot on your plate. I really admire the all that you are doing. What a super star!

Dont you just love The Faun rose. ? It is just such a pretty little thing that loves to bloom.

I actually think that I will start prunning too. With weeks of 60 degree weather everything is starting to pop.

I am working the space for Quietness, lots of roots and rocks but the soil is really workable.

Then the last rose that will need a place is Rosematic fuschia.

I better go out and take a before shot.

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 years ago

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw Wow I can't believe you're going to be getting into the "spring" pruning work of things already! In January! I feel like I've got an eternity until anything can be done outside. Are you feeling lucky, or are you feeling rushed?

• dianela7analabama
    2 years ago

Kristine thank you!

I love the Faun rose, she is a wonderful blooming machine with the nicest blooms. I am actually afraid I killed them by potting them up. The same evening I placed them in pots our temps started plummeting down to 18 degrees so we will see.

Getting weeks of 60 degree weather sounds wonderful and definitely a perfect time for some spring pruning. I would like to try Quietness some day since I have heard so many good things about her and pale pink is one of my favorite colors. Rosematic fuschia looks like a very nice deep pink rose, her color in Palatine's picture reminds me of what Fiji looked like in my yard.

2 years ago

Dianela, Quietness is a great rose. Poor thing, This will be the 3rd move and each time she shrugs it off and gets right back to blooming.

I hope your Fauns make it. There is just something so pretty about those blooms and the fact that I never have to deadhead is such a bonus.

• Lara Zone 10
    2 years ago

My fledgling rose garden (newly built home and garden not filled up yet) is square and I’ve planted a border of blueberry lavender that is a wonderful contrast when in bloom. We do trim it back like a hedge after blooming as my husband favors a formal neat look. The center of the garden has an urn on a pedestal surrounded by Red Kew Lavender, which reblooms more often than the Blueberry. I love the Mediterranean contrast.

Here’s some photos from 2021 with Olivia Rose Austin in the urn… a slow grower she’s since been moved. The yellow rose is Eternal Flame.

• Lara Zone 10
    2 years ago

Here’s Just Joey and Lady of Shallot against the budding purple lavender.

• Lara Zone 10
    2 years ago

A few photos of a hummingbird feeding on the lavender. They LOVE it!!! So friendly, they let me get a foot away from them and are very playful. They’ve almost flown into me a several times! Their wings are loud.

• Lara Zone 10
    2 years ago

Sorry here’s the hummingbird photos…

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Lara, never apologize for your hummingbird photos--or any other. I love your roses. You have made a great start. I love lavender, too, and grow lots of it. Hummingbirds like penstemon very much, and also butterfly bush, among other attractors. Here are some hummingbird photos taken by a friend (mom feeds babies). Diane

• Ashley Smith zone 5a
    2 years ago

Lara your rose garden is absolutely beautiful!!

• Lara Zone 10
    2 years ago

Diane and Ashley thank you so much for the compliments and encouragement! This is really my first time since a child gardening with my mother that I’ve truly gardened. Lots to learn and open to everyone’s advice and suggestions.

Diane - your friend’s hummingbird photos are so precious. I’m hoping some will make a home on our property. Short story… My mother used to have a hibiscus 🌺 outside our kitchen window when I was a child in New York. I used to sit on the radiator while she did the dishes and watch the hummingbirds feed. I can still hear her calling me, “Lara the hummingbirds are back” and I would come running. It was always my dream to have hibiscus outside my kitchen window when I had my own home so I could watch the hummingbirds. Well, turns out my hibiscus aren’t growing so well, probably due to my heavy clay soil and lack of acidity. Strange because my camellias do well. Anyway, the hummingbirds love my lavender, so that’s a blessing. I LOVE lavender too. If I could I would have it everywhere.

CoincidentallyI am considering getting some butterfly bush.

BTW your roses are beautiful. I love your Munstead Wood. Mine is almost 3 and very slow growing. I get a strange long cane here and there that stick out like a long arm. Hoping it will fill out more this year. Fingers crossed. He’s such a lovely rich color and I love his texture.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Lara, your Munstead Wood is gorgeous and doing very well. It's one of Austins best, for me at least. But it is known for the occasional long wonky cane, especially its first three years. I was interested in what you had to say about hibiscus. I grow the hardy type, and I'm sure your mother did, too in NY. In your current zone, you can grow tropical types, and I wonder if they would do better for you. I wish I could grow the tropicals since they have such wonderful colors and bloom structure. I feed hummingbirds as well as rely on flowers as food for them. Do you do this? Here are some hardy hibiscus. The soil here is alkaline. They grow amongst roses and everything else, though my aggressive Augusta Luise is really messing up one, as is Ascot. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

• Lara Zone 10
    2 years ago

Diane, Thank you for your reassurances and kind words about my Munstead Wood, even as the runt of the litter he’s one of my favs. Most of my Austin’s are taking some time to get going.

I don’t have a hummingbird feeder. Would love to get one but am nervous about getting one because our area has a big ant population, we eco spray for them regularly… also, some of the hibiscus get white fly from time to time so I don’t want to attract any more unnecessary bugs.

Regarding hibiscus, your blooms are flawless and the colors are so rich, just beautiful. Yes, my mother’s was a hardy as well. I also realize that I misspoke… I always forget to preface that I actually have all tropical hibiscus…10 in total. I find i gravitate to the tropicals too and coming from the winters of the east coast I just prefer plants that aren’t deciduous. I have 3 next to the house that get afternoon shade and they are absolutely lush and full of buds, some open some don’t. But the ones that are planted in full sun and don’t get shade are stunted, bloom little to none and have sparser misshapen leaves. I did use some tropical hibiscus specific fertilizer this year which helped them to leaf out a little more and boosted blooming but the ones always from the house still struggle and are not good to look at. I’m wondering if I need to amend the soil some to make it more acidic I think the 3 next to the house do so well because the lye is leaching into the soil and making it more acidic. Just my best guess. I don’t have any pics of the struggle one at the moment, I’ll take some tomorrow and post. Here’s a few of my good ones.

• Lara Zone 10
    2 years ago

Here’s my tropical hibiscus that are struggling. I’ll post to the garden forum for advice later as well.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

I was just going to post to tell you how much I love your tropical hibiscus. The color variations and ruffles are wonderful, and you are doing such a great job growing them. Have you ever looked up Cajun Hibiscus to see those amazing things? The blended colors and bloom structure make me want to move south so I can grow them. I have alkaline soil, and the hardy hibiscus don't seem to mind it, nor do my roses. I've grown hibiscus for about 15 years, so these are mature plants. If you have cement leaching some alkalinity into the soil, the leachate would be calcium carbonate and similar compounds, not lye, NaOH, sodium hydroxide, a powerful base. Once a year, I use a fertilizer called Lilly Miller Organic Granular Fertilizer for acid loving plants. I do this mainly for my Ballerina rose, a hybrid musk. They are known to not like alkaline soil and their leaves become chlorotic. This fertilizer has helped that a lot. My other roses could probably do fine with any kind of fertilizer. I also use this fertilizer on my hibiscus, peonies, hardy geraniums (cranesbill), and other special plants. Your hibiscus above are not chlorotic, but they do have thin stems. Is this normal for the tropical type? I see smaller leaves, too. You could try the fertilizer above or something similar. I wish I could suggest more, but I don't know much about tropical hibiscus. You've made a wonderful start. I wish I were in zone 10 about now. Diane

• Lara Zone 10
    2 years ago

Diane, your positivity is a confidence booster! I’m nearly at my wits end with some of our plants. Back in NY the soil was decent enough that we didn’t have to worry about amending soil or plants not doing well in the ground… just plant them and everything grew. Here my hibiscus, some of my tropicals and all my citrus look like they’re barely hanging on. On the positive side, my roses are my best performers! I appreciate and value your advice about the hibiscus and the cement, and am going to take a look at the fertilizer you recommend. I have heard the name Cajun Hibiscus but confess I don’t know too much about them. I did a quick look and they are stunning. I’m going to look into them more as well. You can definitely grow tropical hibiscus… in NY I grew them in pots outdoors in the summer… then I trimmed them back and brought them indoors for the winter. It’s a bit of task, but no more than caring for roses. If you do it, I would suggest putting your pots on a plant stand with wheels. I do believe that some people even grow them indoors but I don’t know if they flower the same or not. Here’s a link on the website of the company I purchased my fertilizer at last year, they give a brief into into wintering tropical hibiscus indoors. https://www.hiddenvalleyhibiscus.com/care/winter.htm

• Lara Zone 10
    2 years ago

Also, the thin stems on new growth is typical. Older growth gets thicker and woody. The struggling one are all spindly.

• Ashley Smith zone 5a
    2 years ago

Is that a bird of paradise bloom I see in the last photo, Lara? ❤

• Lara Zone 10
    2 years ago

Why yes it is, Ashley! Great eye. We have several, the ones in full sun took a few years to establish and get going. They seem to like some afternoon shade or dappled sun more than all day sun. However, once established they’re very reliable and problem free, and there are never any issues, even in our extremely heavy clay soil. If you’re interested, I think they would take to growing indoors.

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    2 years ago

Lara, you have some gorgeous plants. Btw, peppermint oil works great to deter ants. They just scram when I put a few dots in the kitchen or anywhere when they appear.