SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boxlizzie

1st Ever Lasagna Bed

gawdinfever Z6
2 years ago

Ok. So kind of contrary. Dug the sod because it's Bermuda. Uggghhh!

Went back and forth on how to go forward because I'm older and so indecisive. Drive myself crazy, I tell ya! Hokay. I finally decide to do the layers to smother the grass and build soil at same time, because I'm a compost nut.

I dug out what I could. Let sit in hot sun for about 10 days. Then I use the kiddie pool to soak the cardboard I've collected and lay in such a way that NO light will come through. Then I topped with mulch that was 'supposed' to be pine bark fines, but came as mostly compost and was HOT!

But it's been a few months, so added a tad of Black Cow manure and then built layers of shredded paper. I get a lot of that from work (especially valuable to me when I don't have leaves).

Topped that with a good sprinkle of manure and then with straw that has chicken poo, from when I had chickens (few years ago?). I saved it. More shredded paper and more Black Kow.

Is this enough? It's about 20" high. I compost and usually the bare minimum is 3 ft. I'm not in a hurry to plant this. I'm trying to rid myself of my dastardly Bermuda grass and create a butterfly garden (mostly for the Monarchs). More than anything just want to kill the Bermuda for the beds.

I have to add that I sprayed the area with Ornamec170 1st. Wish I had found out about it sooner in the season! It did seem to weaken it quite a bit, though.

My question is: does anyone have any experience with doing this within Bermuda? Did it work?

I know Bermuda is usually an ongoing problem and I will keep up with it, but still worried I wasted my time and resources.

Comments (4)