SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Loosening heavily compacted, sandy soil

After pulling weeds in my back yard (preparing to sow new seed, hopefully tomorrow), I've discovered that large parts of the yard are HEAVILY compacted and sandy!

I'm not sure if these pics will adequately show what I'm dealing with or not:

The sprinklers run 20 minutes every other day, and they ran about 7 hours before taking these pictures. So it should be nice and moist, but I had to twist the trowel with pretty good pressure to get this much up for you to see.

The healthier parts of the yard are red and dark brown in color, but you can see that the soil here is practically white.

I bought the house about 20 years ago, and only started really working on the yard a year or so ago (sowing new seed, aerating, and spreading corn meal gluten monthly). The previous owners did a lot of poor quality updates throughout the house (things I'm STILL finding and redoing!), so I suspect that they might have added sand to the yard in an attempt to help with the much larger drainage issue that I have.

Any suggestions on how to "fix" this before sowing new grass? There was nothing but weed here before, so I'm pretty sure there's no real way for grass to take root.

Comments (9)

Sponsored