SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex_witsil

Help Identifying Milkweed

Alex Witsil
2 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I bought some seeds labeled Asclepias tuberosa (Butterfly Milkweed) but am suspicious that they might be from a different variety or (worse) not milkweed at all. I started the seeds in the spring so there are no flowers but some of the characteristics don't seem to match butterfly milkweed. Full disclosure, this is my first year planting any milkweed variety so I am very new to the game. Nonetheless, below I've listed both what I observe versus what I expect for butterfly milkweed.

Height observed: 3.5 ft (and still growing) / Height expected: 1-2 ft

Leaf arrangement observed: opposite / Leaf arrangement expected: alternate

Stem observed: smooth / Stem expected: hairy

Contains milky sap observed: no / Contains milky sap expected: no

I've attached some photos that help illustrate the observed characteristics. From my fumbling around online, it really looks like swamp milkweed EXCEPT for the fact that there is no milky sap. Now I am worried that it might not be a milkweed at all!

Normally I would just be patient and wait for some blooms late this season or next but I gave a bunch of starts to friends and neighbors as gifts to help support native flora/fauna. If it turns out to be a non-native plant, I want to tell everyone to pull them up ASAP!!!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (4)