SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sam_md

When to Repot? *

sam_md
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

The best time to repot a Bonsai is early in the spring, while trees are still dormant. At this stage trees are not sustaining full-grown foliage, so the damaging effect of repotting will be minimized. Repotting in early spring will also ensure that damage done to the root system will be quickly repaired, as soon as the tree starts growing.

OF COURSE * OF COURSE * OF COURSE * OF COURSE * OF COURSE * OF COURSE * OF COURSE

I saw the above quote on bonsaiempire.com and the common sense statement is a breath of fresh air. The bonsai material are high value and well trained people look after them. So why am I reposting on this forum? The same principles hold true for all containerized woody plants.

At one time there was a site called "The Myth of Fragile Roots" often referenced and quoted on these forums. This site from Univ of Wash makes several broad assumptions and gives one size fits all advice. Worst of all, they put no importance on plant dormancy. This tone-deaf omission comes from a total void of experience. I liken vigorous disturbance of roots to open heart surgery, best done while under anesthesia. The news report has it that the US west coast is horribly hot & dry right now. Are they barerooting woody plants now 07-15-21?

Question on Conifer Turning Brown (houzz.com)

Baby Blue Spruce thread

These are two posts where the "Myths" advice was followed. It seems the "cure was worse than the disease".

Comments (6)

Sponsored