SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paleolith

scape shape variation?

paleolith
2 years ago

Do scapes come in oval and round?

I have little familiarity with amaryllis beyond driving past other people's yards. However, I have about a dozen clumps in my yard, all needing to be divided and organized somehow -- at the moment the placement is largely random. This year, finally, I'm tagging them as they bloom so I can organize them later.

I have two types of plants to distinguish, I think two varieties of amaryllis. The flowers look very similar in structure to me, though I'm no expert.

1) Light red flowers, flat-oval scapes, slightly more prominent leaf ridge, earlier bloom.

2) Pink flowers, round scapes, slightly less prominent leaf ridge, later bloom.

The difference in bloom time is small. I think the red ones started in mid-June, the pink ones a week or two later. Both are still blooming as of this post. I'm in Tallahassee -- north Florida.

So other than color, the most obvious difference is the scape cross-section, and that's really hard to photograph without cutting.

One thing that confuses me is that I remember transplanting a few bulb plants from a previous residence. But I'm pretty sure we had no amaryllis there, and where I thought those had been planted, looks like all amaryllis now. But that was twenty years ago, hence fading memories, and some of those might have been misidentified even then.

There is a good reason to believe I would have two amaryllis varieties, and only two. Other than volunteerism, the obvious source is a Christmas gift about 15 years ago from my sister to my now-late wife of two commercial bulbs, in different colors, to draw in the winter. I tried to force them them the next winter but was unsuccessful and planted them outside. I don't have a clear memory of what those colors were, so they could well be exactly the two I have now.

Anyway, I digress. Is there any significance to the difference in the shape of the scapes?

Thanks,

Edward

Comment (1)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions